disco 1 rear lamps

are the ones with indicators in as fitted to the 200 type the same as the ones fitted to the later 300 type, with indicators?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think so, at least that's what I fitted to mine, not only that the indicator wiring was in the loom for those clusters.

Reply to
JacobH

On or around Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:15:08 -0000, "JacobH" enlightened us thusly:

jolly good. The "new" (N -reg) here has the indicators, but one lens is damaged and the brake light bulb holder is iffy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Forgive the curiosity, but what is it with poms and "N-Reg" and the like?

A genuine question - not having a go at you.

It's a longer way to say less, why don't people simply write the year?

It would be kinder to foreign devils, if nothing else.

A broader question - why is the registration system set up to relate to the age of a vehicle?

Reply to
Paul Saccani

It's generally an easy way to tell what model year a vehicle is, they tended to change on or about the same date as the year letter changed in August. So, in many cases, two vehicles made in the same year won't be the same model, but generally, two vehicles with the same registration letter will, both give or take the amount of time they were on the dealer's forecourt.

The marketing departments of the car makers wanted it set up that way back in the late 50/ early 60s, to encourage people to dispose of their horribly old and out of date last year's model, and get a shiny new one that all the neighbours could *see* was this year's model, 'cos it said so on the plate.

Reply to
John Williamson

Just to confuse things further initially the letter changed on the 1st of Jan and came at the end of the plate. E in 67 was the last before they issued them on 1st August. This was again at the behest of the manufacturers and dealers because they belatedly realised they had created a double incentive for everyone to change their cars on 1st Jan and this created an almighty bulge in sales followed by 11 months of slack.

Eventually when we ran out of letters the letter was switched to the front of the plate and so we went round again. There are of course many Landies around which pre-date the letters or have the letter at the end from the first cycle -I mentioned one in here recently an F reg 109 Safari SW which means it was first registered between 1st Aug 1967 and

31st July 1968. I happen to know it was registered in 1967.

The current system in which the year is divided into 2 x 6 month periods designated by '0' and '5' before the year number is utterly confusing but again is supposed to somehow spread the peaks of demand but at the same time appeal to our vanity so that we change our cars regularly and to hell with the carbon footprint.

Reply to
hugh

Ta for that explanation.

Reply to