Disco 11 td5 auto check engine light???

Recently on my wifes td5 auto first thing at start up the engine light comes on after travelling a very short distance,the symtoms before the light comes on are the engine missing and eratic revs.Now turning off then restarting seems to cure the problem but it now seems to be increasing in severity happening a number of times before being fine for the rest of the day.I should mention that when the engine light illuminates the gearbox lights also illuminate and no throttle is available. Heres hoping someone can shed some light on the subject Many thx in advance Tim

Reply to
Tim

Google for oil in engine loom.

Reply to
Nige

Allready replaced the said loom

Reply to
Tim

What about the ECU? They can get oil in them too apparently, although LR say they are sealed.

Reply to
Nige

yes cleaned ecu when replacing loom this was 12mnths ago.As i said previously the symtoms stop after 2-3 restarts then its fine all day thanx Tim

Reply to
Tim

hhhmmm, very odd, it's not the throttle potentiometer is it?

Reply to
Nige

Its A td5 so i dont think its got a throttle potentiometer

Reply to
Tim

There is one in the defender with the TD5, I don't think they would have two different setups.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ere you go, check the cable from the throttle pot.. more so the connectors are clean and making good contacts.

Lee_D

I hope it has the TD5 is "fly by wire" engine! *Everything* is under control of the ECU. No physical control cable from go pedal to the engine...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hope its a sight better than the one on my Daf which is a collosal POS creates lag like a 1980 Ferrari F1 press wait and pray or just ignores the accelerator.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

It's not bad but there is a lag if you want to move fast, *NOW*. It's probably no more than a few hundred milliseconds as the ECU spots the go pedal on the floor looks at the current engine revs (tickover) and speed (stationary) and starts to wind the fuelling up. In the mean time you've let the clutch up and stalled... In normal driving it's fine, you only have the slight slugishness until the turbo starts to work somewhere above

1800rpm. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISTR this actually being designed in to try and get rid of the drivetrain clonk?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If so it don't work on mine... Get some good clunks if I'm a bit quick with the clutch. Maybe the transmission is shagged, it's only done 90,000 miles though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it was more to reduce rather than get rid of, however I heard about this from a.f.l so best not pay it too much heed ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes much like not refilling with oil prevents leaks in future ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Weird,came home from work this morn and tried the td5 out with no probs,all ive done is clean air flow meter and disconected the vac pipe for the egr valve.Gonna try a couple more days and invest in a egr blanking kit. many thanx for the input Tim

Reply to
Tim

Hey don't knock it, it works really well!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Don't fall into the trap of trying 2 things at once, now you don't know which change fixed it (if it has) - golden rule of fault finding, change only 1 thing at a time, of course I always forget to follow it... like making a hole in my newish fuel filter AND blowing out the fuel lines to sort out my fuel starvation issue, seems to be fixed, but now I don't know what the prob was until I try a new filter.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Ran fine again 2day with no probs,ordered egr kit as car seems alot smoother with no egr valve working.Fingers crossed its fixed!!! mny thx Tim

Reply to
Tim