Disco 2 ABS Sensor

Hi all, Hope this post is a lot less stupid than my last one. The dash lights for the ABS, Traction Control and Hill Descent have come on tonight on the way home on my TD5 Discovery 2. I have done a bit of a Google search and it would appear that it maybe an ABS sensor. Having looked in the manual it says you need to change the whole hub. But I see that some parts suppliers sell just the sensor. Is it a simple job to replace just the sensor? Or any other possible fixes. Also will it effect the braking on the car until I can get it fixed or should I lay it up till I get it fixed.

Thanks, Barno

Reply to
Neil Barnes

Just been there myself except that mine invented itself whilst the vehicle was stationary/stopped/switched off!

Providing that you don't mind doing without ABS (I personally hate the Disco's version), HDC (again not one of my favourites) and traction control you can drive around until you need to sort it for the MOT. (No lectures, please, about insurance etc.!) If, like me, you do not have the manual lock on the middle differential it's the lack of traction control that's the biggest concern. I've just been in that state for 6 months.

It, unfortunately, may not just be a case of a diff sensor/hub/wiring - that's at the cheaper end of the problem possibilities. There'e also a good chance that the electricals/electronics in the ABS shuttle valve are at fault - very very expensive! It could also be very cheap if it turns out to be a bad connection in the same circuit.

If you wish to avoid expensive trial and error investigations you'll need to get it plugged in to the magic box to see where the fault lies.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi all, Hope this post is a lot less stupid than my last one. The dash lights for the ABS, Traction Control and Hill Descent have come on tonight on the way home on my TD5 Discovery 2. I have done a bit of a Google search and it would appear that it maybe an ABS sensor. Having looked in the manual it says you need to change the whole hub. But I see that some parts suppliers sell just the sensor. Is it a simple job to replace just the sensor? Or any other possible fixes. Also will it effect the braking on the car until I can get it fixed or should I lay it up till I get it fixed.

Thanks, Barno

Hi Neil

It's very common for this to happen on the D2, the 3 warning lights you refer to are often referred to as the "3 amigos" and they are a regular site on the dashboard for many owners.

Often it's just a bit of dirt that gets in a sensor that throws the error but there can be many reasons for it and often hard to trace. You need to find someone with a Nanocom or Hawkeye diagnostic unit which will pinpoint the fault then you can start the process of rectifying.

If one of the front hubs start to get a bit of play in it then it can cause the fault to show, hence the need to replace the whole hub, the sensor itself maybe ok but any play in the hub will cause it to mis-read.

Have a look on sites like the Discovery Owners Club for more on this but as I say, very common and its fine to drive in this state.

If you are anywhere near Leeds/Bradford I have a Nanocom diagnostic reader and will happily check it for you.

Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto > < 1996 D1 300tdi >
Reply to
Andy Cooke

You can check the wheel sensors with a multimeter, infinity means its shagged.

It might well be the whole hub thats buggered.

Reply to
Nige

Thanks for the replies guys, I have found a landrover independent in Bolton, Land Ranger Services and have e-mailed them if they can fault find it for me, I am waiting on a reply as I type. Has any one had any dealings with these guys before? When I get home next week I will check the sensor and hub for play just incase it is something simple like that. Will I need to get the lights reset or do they go on their own when the fault is fixed?

Neil.

Reply to
Neil Barnes

If it's these:-

I deal often with their Longton branch, and find them very helpful and knowledgeable.

Reply to
John Williamson

What about the Mechanic next door to Buckley's in Darwen

That's not to far from Bolton

I don't have his phone number and I doubt if he's on T'internet

Reply to
DieSea

Hi.

Any movement that shouldnt, hub swivels, wheel bearings etc, can let the toothed ring contact the sensor, and push it out a bit, resulting in a poor signal to the ABS controler.

The sensor is basicly a magnet with a coil of wire round it. Or "Variable Reluctance" device. Real low tech stuff!

If you can, clean the clag from arround it, remove it, inspect the "business" end, if it's marked, it's made contact (it shouldnt) with the moving parts. However, re-fitting the sensor could fix the problem, till next time.

Take care with the wires, they are not as rugged as you expect, the connectors need care too. Clean the dirt off them before pulling them apart, and keep them clean and dry when not connected.

Enjoy!

DaveB

Reply to
DaveB

D2 dont have swivels.

They are crappy.

Air gap

It's always the front left hand sensor for some odd reason.

Reply to
Nige

Hi all, Had a look at the Disco over my days off, could not find anything so I tested the sensors and all was ok. So I managed to get the system checked out and it said that the front right ABS sensor was faulty. Got the lights reset and they had stayed off, so hopefully it was just a glitch. I will have to wait and so but if it comes back on I know which sensor to change.

Thanks for the advice. Barno

Reply to
Neil Barnes

I'm fairly sure D3's and D4's don't (indipendant suspension etc) but dont D2's have beam axles like D1's? In any case, the sensors have to fit somewhere.

That's as maybe, but 1,000,000's of the things are in use throughout industry, not just in vehicles, 99.9% or more are fit and forget.

There has to be an air gap, but too much and you get a poor signal, too little (none!) and things get damaged.

DaveB.

Reply to
DaveB

Swivels not relevant anyway - sensor would be outboard of swivel pin bearings and steering knuckles (as I think they call the equivalent part on the D2). Only wheel bearings should have an effect other than dirt, lack of/excessive sensor clearance etc..

Reply to
Dougal