Disco 2 Air Suspension question

Just got back from Asda and the compressor that runs the air suspension ran on for at least 10 minutes after the engine was stopped. As it showed no sign of stopping, Bruce has disconnecetd the battery. He's taken the cover off and I have posted a coup[e of pics on webshots. user name nikkiclu and they are under Disco II album.

Reply to
Nikki

in article C0AC1C74.7BDC% snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com, Nikki at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 7/6/06 6:03 am:

Has part broken off and is it repairable or new compressor?

Reply to
Nikki

Sorry Nikki.

Was looking at one of those compressors earlier i the week but can't make out whatthe broken bit is. Any chance of getting the compressor off so we can have a better look?

David

Reply to
rads

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, rads at snipped-for-privacy@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 7/6/06 8:19 am:

Bruce going to have a look at getting it off in a minute.

Reply to
Nikki

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, rads at snipped-for-privacy@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 7/6/06 8:19 am:

Bruce says the bit comes from the top of the air supply unit and thinks there is a bit of pipe no longer attached to it/broken off in top.

Not having a manual he wants to know the following i) is it easy to get off? ii) put back on without taking to garage? iii) replacement "air supply unit" - how much or can it be repaired/serviced?

Its been noisy for a couple of weeks, we think, could possibly be longer. We usually have radio or cd on in car but since I heard it the other day, only been listenig for it for a short time and its only ever been an occassional noise in short bursts and sounds like Bruces compressor in the garden when its recharging itself.

Reply to
Nikki

'Fraid all my info is second hand.

i) Yes ii) Yes, though would suggest chocking the body to prevent it sagging if you disconnect the lines to the air springs. Having that, my mates sagged to the bump stops, did not generate any fault codes, and rose majestically back up once fixed. iii) Not sure. The larger diameter air pipes are air inlet and exhaust, not the higher pressure (small) lines which feed the air springs. If either the inlet or the exhaust has come loose, not sure why that should let prevent the compressor from reaching pressure and stopping.

David

Reply to
rads

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, rads at snipped-for-privacy@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 7/6/06 12:18 pm:

just driven round the block so I can reverse into drive, which I've just done. We've raised the back end and lowered it again and compressor rans after it had lifted to max and again when lowered, with no sign of stopping, so have disconneceted battery again. Shall pass on info and take some pics as soon as I can once compressor is off. Got to go and look at my sons new school this afternoon, so shall be leaving Bruce to get mad with the car by himself.

Reply to
Nikki

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, rads at snipped-for-privacy@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 7/6/06 12:18 pm:

have just added some pics of partly removed compressor. on webshots user name nikkiclu and they are under Disco II album.

Reply to
Nikki

Had a look.

I am pretty sure that is the inlet pipe to the compressor.

Bruce's suspicion is correct and it should be joined to the compressor.

However, I'm not convinced that is the reason the compressor is not stopping. With that union broken, the compressor will be sucking relatively dirty air from under the car (and might explain the extra noise you had noticed) but the compressor should still work.

If it is not switching off then presumably some ecu somewhere thinks the thing is not at the right ride height. The fact it did lift itself up suggests the compressor is functioning.

David

Reply to
rads

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, rads at snipped-for-privacy@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 7/6/06 7:09 pm:

Just had conversation with Bruce and he has come to the same conclusion and looking at photos, thinks that the union has possibly got very hot at some point and melted. The car is not lop sided or resting on bump stops either, but it definately wont risk towing the caravan to Eastnor this weekend!

Have booked it in to be looked at Friday afternoon and in the mean while the other Disco is booked in for MOT at 11am.

Thanks very much for your help. Its muchly appreciated!

Reply to
Nikki

in article C0AD2168.7C1C% snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com, Nikki at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 8/6/06 12:43 am:

Anyone know if it can be repaired or is it a replacement compressor?

Reply to
Nikki

You can get the following spares (I've only just looked at this thread so I'll just list everything - these bit are not on the site ..... yet)

Pressure Transducer Filter & plug Pressure control valve (2 different ones) Seals (at front)

other wise it's the whole thing

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

in article 8246cd364e% snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com, beamendsltd at snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote on 14/6/06 11:11 am:

Have e-mailed you direct.

Reply to
Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Can I have the corpse of the pump if its knackered, out of technical interest please ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

in article 448fef71$0$15940$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Steve Taylor at snipped-for-privacy@thetaylorfamily.org.uk wrote on 14/6/06 12:16 pm:

I should think so - will check with Bruce first though, as from past experience when something has really pissed him off he has been known to place certain items in a vice and crush or use a grinder and convert to several smaller bits and if flamable a ritual burning on the bonfire is probably his favourite.

Where do you live?

Reply to
Nikki