Disco 2 alarm

Anyone any ideas?

The alarm kept going off in the car park at work today. I went out and shut it up, then checked all the doors and windows - nothing open or unusual, no wild animals in the inside. Never happened before. When I came to lock it again, the alarm gave a beep as the doors locked. (Checks manual - if it beeps and the doors lock, it's a fault on one of the passenger doors, bonnet or rear door - if it's the driver's door, it beeps and won't lock at all.) Opened and slammed all doors, no change. I left it unlocked for the rest of the day. On the way home, the interior light came on (or may have been on all the time) and stayed on even after I had parked it and removed the keys. Eventually, it went out, but took much longer than usual.

Stumped. I can't find any pin switches on the doors. Are they built into the locks now or something?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Rich, if the interior light is going on and the alarm is beeping when you try to set it it's got to be one of the door sensors no? When I used to have the disco 2 for work if you didnt shut the door properly, when you set the alarm the bloody thing used to beep at you. I guess what you have to do now is to find where the sensors or whatever is on the door. I know some cars have what looks like a brass plate with a pin on the door. Got to be one there somewhere.........

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

||| The alarm kept going off in the car park at work today. ||| Stumped. I can't find any pin switches on the doors. Are they ||| built into the locks now or something?

|| Rich, if the interior light is going on and the alarm is beeping when || you try to set it it's got to be one of the door sensors no? When I || used to have the disco 2 for work if you didnt shut the door || properly, when you set the alarm the bloody thing used to beep at || you. || I guess what you have to do now is to find where the sensors or || whatever is on the door. I know some cars have what looks like a || brass plate with a pin on the door. Got to be one there || somewhere.........

Sadly no - I spent a long lunch hour (bosses enjoying a long Xmas break) in the works car park searching for the pin switches which every other vehicle I've owned seemed to have, but there aren't any (apart from the bonnet switch). I reckon the door closed/open sensor must be inside the door mechanism. Makes sense, as pin switches are for ever failing, being cheap and nasty and exposed to the wet, but it's a PITA when you need to swap one out. I've been round slamming every door and the bonnet, but to no avail. The interior light is now playing silly buggers - off when I'm parked in the dark with the door open, but comes on when I'm half way home and stays on when I park up and lock it. It's overdue a service, so it's going into Green's next week. I'm sure they can find it :-(

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thinking about it I had a similar problem with the Rangie not long after I had it, not with the alarm as such (as that didn't work at the time either) but with the interior lights staying on when they shouldnt have etc etc. I eventually traced that down to the interior light delay relay or whatever it's called. I took it out and just used interior light switch to put it on when i wanted it. I've just bought a new one off ebay after 9 months of not being bothered by it. What I was trying to say about your truck is that whatever is responsible for telling the vehicle that the doors are shut is playing up. Do you think that if they plug it in at Greens the computer has the ability to work out the fault. The one we used to use on the boat outboards was crap. If the engine wasnt running, for example, the laptop would show up "ENGINE FAULT" and that was it - ah, helpful........ one of the reasons I left!

Reply to
Dave R

On or around Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:35:09 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

The "door open" display in the sierra works off switches attached to the door locks.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Richard Brookman wrote:

|| Dave R wrote: || |||| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||||| The alarm kept going off in the car park at work today. ||||| Stumped. I can't find any pin switches on the doors. Are they ||||| built into the locks now or something? || |||| Rich, if the interior light is going on and the alarm is beeping |||| when you try to set it it's got to be one of the door sensors no? |||| When I used to have the disco 2 for work if you didnt shut the door |||| properly, when you set the alarm the bloody thing used to beep at |||| you. |||| I guess what you have to do now is to find where the sensors or |||| whatever is on the door. I know some cars have what looks like a |||| brass plate with a pin on the door. Got to be one there |||| somewhere......... || || Sadly no - I spent a long lunch hour (bosses enjoying a long Xmas || break) in the works car park searching for the pin switches which || every other vehicle I've owned seemed to have, but there aren't any || (apart from the bonnet switch). I reckon the door closed/open || sensor must be inside the door mechanism. Makes sense, as pin || switches are for ever failing, being cheap and nasty and exposed to || the wet, but it's a PITA when you need to swap one out. I've been || round slamming every door and the bonnet, but to no avail. The || interior light is now playing silly buggers - off when I'm parked in || the dark with the door open, but comes on when I'm half way home and || stays on when I park up and lock it. It's overdue a service, so || it's going into Green's next week. I'm sure they can find it :-(

So I mention this at service time, they put it on the computer, and hey presto! the passenger side door latch is reporting to the BECM that it is permanently open. Sounds right, so I book it in and ask them to sort it - reasonable price quoted. (Replacing the door latch is easy - reprogramming the alarm so it all talks to itself afterwards isn't.) Dealer's hours don't fit my hours of work ATM, so I run it over the night before and post the keys through the door. It is returned by a nice man the following afternoon. Mrs B pays him, and notices that when he locks the car it beeps again. I get home, check it out, and lo! the interior lights are still controlled by an alien from the planet Tharg and the alarm is reporting the same mislock. And I have a receipt for work done which says "all tested and working correctly". And minus a cheque for over a ton.

Take it back over to the dealers that night and give them a right bollocking over the phone this morning. They are sure the new door latch is correct, but the computer is still reporting a door open - not the front passenger door, but another one, and it won't tell them which one! I left them testing all the circuits for shorts and breaks and they haven't got back to me yet.

I should have done it myself....

Reply to
Rich

I too have had the light gremlins. As we drive, the interior light comes on and goes out at random and have had alarm beeps when locking even though all doors are shut. After reading the threads above, a faulty relay may be the reason as I dont think its the door locks (slamming doors does not seem to work). Plus replacing all the door locks is an expensive option. We have already paid to replace the drivers door lock at my local Landy dealer. When it did not fix the problem they also said that that the diagnostic computer could not tell which other door was at fault. I have asked them to find a solution without having to replace all the other door locks and am still waiting for a response. I am now determined to find a solution myself before i commit to any more cost. That happened before Xmas and we now have to lock the car from the passenger side from the inside and not use the key fob as the alarm intermittently sounds when set with the key fob. Today the wife locked the keys in the car....

Any help out there as to a solution would be most appreciated!

Reply to
kn0x

kn0x wrote:

|| Rich wrote: ||||| Dave R wrote: ||||| ||| [quoted text clipped - 26 lines] ||||| stays on when I park up and lock it. It's overdue a service, so ||||| it's going into Green's next week. I'm sure they can find it :-( ||| ||| So I mention this at service time, they put it on the computer, and ||| hey presto! the passenger side door latch is reporting to the BECM ||| that it is permanently open. Sounds right, so I book it in and ask ||| them to sort it - reasonable price quoted. (Replacing the door ||| latch is easy - reprogramming the alarm so it all talks to itself ||| afterwards isn't.) Dealer's hours don't fit my hours of work ATM, ||| so I run it over the night before and post the keys through the ||| door. It is returned by a nice man the following afternoon. Mrs B ||| pays him, and notices that when he locks the car it beeps again. I ||| get home, check it out, and lo! the interior lights are still ||| controlled by an alien from the planet Tharg and the alarm is ||| reporting the same mislock. And I have a receipt for work done ||| which says "all tested and working correctly". And minus a cheque ||| for over a ton. ||| ||| Take it back over to the dealers that night and give them a right ||| bollocking over the phone this morning. They are sure the new door ||| latch is correct, but the computer is still reporting a door open - ||| not the front passenger door, but another one, and it won't tell ||| them which one! I left them testing all the circuits for shorts ||| and breaks and they haven't got back to me yet. ||| ||| I should have done it myself.... ||| || I too have had the light gremlins. As we drive, the interior light || comes on and goes out at random and have had alarm beeps when || locking even though all doors are shut. After reading the threads || above, a faulty relay may be the reason as I dont think its the door || locks (slamming doors does not seem to work). Plus replacing all the || door locks is an expensive option. We have already paid to replace || the drivers door lock at my local Landy dealer. When it did not fix || the problem they also said that that the diagnostic computer could || not tell which other door was at fault. I have asked them to find a || solution without having to replace all the other door locks and am || still waiting for a response. I am now determined to find a || solution myself before i commit to any more cost. That happened || before Xmas and we now have to lock the car from the passenger side || from the inside and not use the key fob as the alarm intermittently || sounds when set with the key fob. Today the wife locked the keys in || the car.... || || Any help out there as to a solution would be most appreciated!

Symptoms sound familiar ... interior lights playing silly buggers, beeping when locking, BECM won't tell which one is faulty ...

Got a call to collect it today. All fixed. It turns out the rear door latch was also faulty. Man assured me it was a coincidence. Maybe. Anyway, they replaced the rear door latch FOC, so I'm happy with that. The "positive" approach obviously worked. Hope you get yours sorted.

Reply to
Rich