Disco 3.9 Fuel Pump running on....

1996 v8i ES 3.9 Standard but for a Biogas system.

Go for a drive with anything lower than 1/3rd of a tank of petrol (even when runninng on gas) and come to a halt. Switch off ignition and hop out and what I believe is the fuel pump can be heard to be purring away in the tank. Seems to do this for several minutes then stops.

Only possible linked thing I've found is that when I unscrew the fuel cap the tank vents and it seems under the two or three times I've tried this the pump stops.

Doesn't seem to have same symptoms when the tank is above 1/3rd full (petrol)

Any ideas?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:37:40 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

might be air whiffling in through a vent valve thing, rather than the pump. 'bout the onyl way to be sure would be to lift the rear carpets and the cover over the pump unit, run it and stop it so it makes the relevant noise, and then investigate.

or try pulling the pump fuse, which is B8 on mine but probably something totally different on yours, and see if that makes it stop.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd be 90% certain this is the source of the noise - I've seen it happen quite often on a variety of different vehicles.

Reply to
EMB

Hello, Lee_D!

Mine does the same - same solution to make it stop. As it is a pressuriesed fuel system - maybe it is a feature - to vent the gases through the EGR?

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Cheers Chaps,

I'll reinvestigate once I get the keys from Mrs D's mits.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Oh lord!

Does this mean I'm going to blow engines and gearboxes, get really muddy and buy a Suit of armour too?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

LD> Oh lord!

LD> Does this mean I'm going to blow engines and gearboxes, get really LD> muddy and buy a Suit of armour too?

LD> ;-)

Yup!!!!

Reply to
computer