disco 3.9 starting prob

1993 disco 3.9V8 petrol I have starting problem. It just will not start, fuel getting there, (plugs wettish) spark is present. JUST WONT GO!!! has anybody any pointers please?
Reply to
tomtom

Alarm Spider :(

Bypass it....

Reply to
computer

Please tell me more, how, where. PLEASE PLEASE

Reply to
tomtom

Didnt think a 93 model would have an alarm spider? my 95 model hasnt. I believe 96 models have the ones with more than one button on the remote. I was told single button remote models dont have the alarm spider? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
alan brown

Timing slipped? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Reply to
tomtom

On or around Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:13:32 GMT, "tomtom" enlightened us thusly:

I had a mystery failure on one of my V8s, the rotor arm went short to the post inside. Took much head scratching to solve that one.

If it's "always a pig to start" there's something wrong with it, though - my hotwire 3.5 is pretty good - it's slightly iffy at the moment but then it's due a new set of plugs at this (or maybe the last :-)) service.

leads are a good source of problems, if they're not in good condition. Magnecor are worth the extra pennies, IMHO.

You could try using a second battery or a battery charger to supply a full

12V to the coil positive (the -ve goes to the engine block, not to the other side of the coil!) - We used to have a motor which needed this treatment - eventually found that the ignition switch was for some reason not supplying full voltage/current, and that the voltage drop when cranking killed the sparks.

doing that will eliminate any ignition-feed problems, including immobilisers affecting the ignition.

have you tried towing it to bumpstart it?

Other things to check: cold start system (I think there is such a thing on the hotwire...) for function; fuel system in general for correct settings. Depending on age it may or may not be closed loop (i.e. lambda sensors in the exhaust) and that could add problems; fuel lift pump for correct operation and output - on mine, I had a fuel pump that went lazy - it still ran and still pumped fuel, just not enough.

Reply to
Austin Shackles