Disco 3 test drive

Just back from this.

I was given a TDV6 SE which had (in true dealer fashion) been given all of the optional extras to bring it up to HSE spec.

The handbrake is a pushbutton - it will only disengage if the footbrake is on. I'm not best happy about not having a manual brake in the event of everything going pear shaped.

While they may have increased the legroom available, they've narrowed down the footwells - I tend to drive bow-legged and this was rather tight and I kept barking my knees off the sides.

They've still got the inside door handles just where they'll dig into your thighs - not nice.

The interior mirror doesn't have a wide enough field of view to cover the entire rear window.

The 6 speed manual gearbox has rather short gear ranges necessitating a lot of up changing moving off - takes some getting used to.

On the plus side, the road handling is excellent - not as good as my Rover

75, but better than almost any other car I've ever driven. The engine has a lot of punch - it's got more go than the D2 V8 had and is dead quiet inside the car.

The turning circle has to be seen to be believed - it will out turn any other landrover I've ever seen - the only cars I've ever driven that turned tighter were a Vauxhall Viva and an LTI FX4S.

It still catches the wind like a bugger and gets thrown around, however it's no worse than any other Disco that way.

I agree with Clarkson about the rear seats - they are a pain to get into and not easy to put up - I was right at the limits of my reach (I'm 5'9") to raise the back and it took about a dozen attempts to get the base to latch into the back.

The load space has a short fuzzy lining which will be destroyed if you load too many sharp objects onto it, like cardboard boxes for example. This is in contrast to the heavy duty load lashing eyes recessed into the loadbed.

The dashboard is busy. There is far too much going on with all the indicators, switches and lights - to coin a phrase "This car is like Darth Vaders Bathroom".

The car does not have forward parking sensors, but it needs them - the end of the bonnet is at least a foot ahead of where you can see.

I'm not happy about the electrickery level of this car - it depends far too much on electronics which *will* go wrong and be difficult to fix. It may be nice to see what your transmission is doing in realtime, but I personally find it damn distracting to watch the diffs lock and unlock in realtime along with the wheel positions on the dash display changing with the steering wheel - even out of the corner of my eye.

It's a nice enough car to drive on the road, it's supposedly good offroad, but at 14" longer than any previous disco (body length as well as wheelbase) it's going to be a bugger to get into most parking bays.

I probably won't be buying one.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown