Disco 300 TDI Alternator

I have an Alternator off a Disco TDI 300 ( P Reg ) with a sized bearing

Its already been replaced

So now all I need to know is it worth repairing or does it get weighed in for scrap

TIA

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

It's quite easy to repair and the bearings are cheap so I suppose it depends if you've got the inclination and know how to do the repair or if you've got lots of dosh. :-)

Reply to
Oily

I'd replace the bearing again. It's cheaper than a new alternator by a long shot. A point to note (for us in Australia at least) is that there are bearings... and there are bearings. General purpose bearings are just that - and don't last all that long in hostile/hot/high-load environments - we definitely don't use them in places like 300Tdi/V8 tensioners, for example.

There is a high temperature/load type bearing available here - it's obviously more expensive, but has a dramatically longer life.

I'd be looking into seeing if you can pick up something of that type.

("we" is British Off Road, Qld.)

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
Craig

Have a look at a thread I started 'Alternators'; a short while ago ,,,wasn;t worth skimping, INHO ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx mobile

Thanks all

I'll put it in the shed ( or Loft ) a while

"Matron" will do her nut , as usual , about me being a hoarder

If some one wants to swap it for another to rebuild for themselves that's not a problem

I got a brand new one from our local supplier for about £70.00 plus the dreaded

Again Thanks

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

On or around Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:07:25 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

...if the thing comes apart and the bearings come out of the casing, leaving the latter intact...

Reply to
Austin Shackles