Disco 97 V8 Lockup on Torque Converter

Hi after a looong time - partly trouble-free motoring and not enough play. If I recall the torque converter used to lock up at about 79~81 kph. With my limited knowlege I have checked for what may be the obvious, all fuses, electrical connectors to the gearbox, tubes and hoses, AT fluid level etc. Someone suggested I shift gears manually for a while but still no luck.

Can anyone suggest a starting point please? I also notice the kickdown is not behaving.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

The DDC engage speed on my 300 TDi Disc is 45 mph, (72 kph) it's all governed by the hydraulics within the gearbox so it sounds expensive taking into account the kick down prob. One simple check to try is the adjustment on the kickdown cable, this does affect the performance of the box.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

On or around Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:48:15 -0000, "Peter Seddon" enlightened us thusly:

but not, AFAIK, the lock-up speed. mine's about 50 mph (80kph), and was on the he previous box I had too.

tightening the kickdown cable raises the shift-points so that it uses low gears more - but you need to be sure that it doesn't reach the end of the travel - if you make it too tight, then it tends to break things when you floor the throttle.

more specific symptoms needed really to make a stab at diagnosing it.

does it upshift normally, doe sit use all the gears, does it downshift normally, etc etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles