Disco Advice

I am planning to drive down to West Africa,doing some overlanding in the Sahara. I like the loook of the 2.5 Tdi Disco but the 300 seems a bit complicated with all its electronics. I want something that I can mend with a stick and a big hammer would the 200 be a better bet. Cheers Rick

Reply to
Rick F

Rick Hi,

you can always go for a 300Tdi Discovery with the simple non electronic fuel pump.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I went for my 300 Tdi mostly because it didn't have the electronic gubbins. ('96/'97)

Mind, being a 3 door it doesn't even have electric windows or mirrors, which I now slightly regret. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

300tdi & electronics? What electronics?

Do you mean the TD5?

Reply to
Nige

Some 300TDis have an "ECU", but IIRC it really only handles the exhaust gasses for emissions requirements in some countries. I know that's what the circuit diagram for the 300TDi wiring diagrams I have suggests. This is for the Defender though, but I doubt the engine's been significantly furtled just for the disco.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My friend has a 96 disco that has a complicated lock out system if the key fob battery goes flat, Just the job 200 miles from the nearest town. I know you can get it going by putting the code in with the key. but being a pessimist I work on the principal that if it can go wrong it will, and the middle of the Sahara is not the place to be trying to trace an electrical fault We once had a electronic fuel fault on a Dodge Caravan and had to sell the thing to an Arab as a non runner.

Reply to
Rick F

Thats was what was bothering me about acquiring a 300TDi Disco the electronics does a good bit more the drive by wire EDC (electronic diesel control ) monitors the turbo pressure air pressure , meters the fuel going into the engine, sets the injection timing and also controls the EGR until it goes titsup in which case the ECM just feeds it a standard setting to get you home or worst case cuts off the fuel . Thankfully I was advised that its only on the autobox Disco's post P'reg so I'm happy again.

Derek

Reply to
Derek