Disco Auto Transmission Fluid Level?

Hi,

You guys will be sick of this new boy!

Just been checking a few things on my new Disco. New to me that is....

The auto transmission fluid level is about 2cm above the top mark (little hole) on the dipstick. Is this a problem?? The scary "Danger do not overfill" on the dipstick has me worried!

The fluid looks really clean. It wasn't flagged at the AA check. Fluid condition was just ticked.

If the advice is to let some fluid out then does anyone know how much would drop it to the max mark.

Thanks again. Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

Was the engine running with the box in neutral ? Had you worked it through all the gears prior to checking ?

From cold you should start the engine then put the gearbox into drive, let it engage, put it into reverse, let it engage, put it through the other forward gears, back into reverse, into drive, into neutral and check the level (not forgetting the handbrake !) The fluid level will normally have dropped by this point.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks Dave,

I did all of that and its still a good 2-3 cm above max on the dipstick. The dipstick is the type with two little holes drilled near the bottom.

Am I risking damage with this situation? Should I let some oil out ASAP?

Any ideas how much to let out?

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

I would take the warning seriously, it's also in the instruction "bboklet" and in Haynes. The difference between the bottom and top marking on the dipstick is 0,25 l. So maybe you can compare distances. According to RAVE there should be a drainplug underneath (of course) the oil carter, just behind the crossmember.

HTH, cheers,

Richard

Pete Daws>

Reply to
Richard

Alternatively, if you wish to remove some of the gearbox oil, you can use an appropriate length of regular garden irrigation plastic tubing (about 2 m) and a big syringe (the ones used for horses do well).

Warm up the gearbox oil a bit so that it becomes more viscous and then suck the excess oil using the syringe.

If this is too much for you then you can do so by visiting an oil change service station where they use a sucking device for changing oil in cars and ask them to remove the excess quantity.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Thanks everyone,

I plucked up courage to let some oil out yesterday. All sorted now. I wasn't quite sure how tight 10Nm is for the bolt. My arm isn't calibrated yet!! Do people actually use torque wrenches on sump plugs??

There was actually about 500mls too much in there. I had a minor drama when the plug came out before I expected it to and I had to scrabble for it in the bowl and ram in back in!! Didn't think car maintenance could be so exciting!!

Cheers Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson