disco average mpg

just doing some sums to see if we can afford to run a disco and need some help. if we get a 300tdi manual diesel, no aircon and driven carefully what mpg roughly can i get in these condition's-

40% city driving 50% dual carriageway 10% motorway

i am working on 27mpg. is that a realistic figure?

Reply to
Paul

Buy a V8 & get a decent LPG conversion....much nicer

Reply to
Ged

Paul came up with the following;:

Yup.

Mine's a 300Tdi '97 manual 3 door, we get about 30-32 mpg on long runs, drops to about 28-30 mpg 'normal' use around local area and drops to about

26-28 towing the caravan, fully loaded with kids and about 400 kilos of gear. We don't, howver, do much city or town driving though, except when passing through .. ;).

In reality we get anywhere from 420 to 350 miles to a tankfull, but we mostly fill it or look for a station at 1/4 full or less. It really doesn't seem to matter what we do with it, the fuel consumption overall hardly varies. The only time we get low mpg figures is when using low box off-roading, and once when towing 2 horses and their horse box from Wales to Doncaster against the wind, when the mpg dropped to 24 ish mpg.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Paul Hi,

the four years fuel consumption data for my 1994 model year 200Tdi Discovery five door vehicle is 13.7 litres per 100 Km.

BUT it is a Camel Trophy vehicle weighting 2800 kilos (instead of the 2000 kilos that civilian Discos weight), has a HUGE roofrack with four rooflights and a huge plaque at the front and rear, plus webbing, a huge bullbar with two more lights mounted at the front and also relatively taller 7.00 X 16 tyres instead of the factory specified 205 X 16.

So this fuel consumption average may not reflect the true value for civilian specs Discos.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:40:06 +0100, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

I reckon. You might get it slightly better than that - I think ours is averaging about 30 now, after a bit of tweaking and fettling.

Tyres tend to be on the pricey side compared to ordinary saloons - Just paid

310 for a set of 4 for mine. most of the ordinary run-of-the-mill spares are available cheap, though, and the insurance is not too bad either.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I get more than 30 from the old 200Tdi. Long trips only, mainly main roads. They have the aerodynamics of a filing cabinet so over 70mph I guess the mpg will drop a lot.

What tyres did you get Austin? On your advice I just got the Pirellis and they were only 120 for two. They're very good so far.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I get about 23mpg from mine. With the aircon switched off mostly. It doesn't seem to make much difference on how I drive, but its mostly nailed. I havent the patience to drive it economically for 400 miles.

My 12litre 380hp 38t truck gives 9.87mpg every week, by the time I've finished driving that every day I relish every mile travelled at over

55mph so the poor Disco gets a bit hammered.
Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:11:59 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

eeek. people taking my advice??

This time I put Avon Ranger AT on it. The Pirelli STs gripped tarmac like sticky things on something that things stick to, and were surprisingly good off-road for road-bias tyres, but didn't last as long as I could have wished. Mebbe I drive it too hard :-) They are, though, as you say, cheaper than some. The Avons were 66 plus vat each, including fitting, so not bad. Not had it out of shape on tarmac yet, although they feel a bit more "drifty" than the Pirellis.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:24:40 +0100, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

I once tortured ours into returning about 22mpg, but that was hammering up the M6 foot-to-the floor into a gale.

actually, that's pretty bloody good for a 38T wagon. Not that long ago they were doing well if they got 7 mpg. How much of the mileage is full-weight?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

23 mpg sounds far more reasonable to me from my experience with a 300TDi RRC. I can stretch it to 27-ish on long runs if I'm gentle but like CT can't keep in economy mode for too long.

If I were you I would not budget on the sort of 'optimistic' figures being mentioned here.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:42:05 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

I was taking into account the stated driving pattern - if you drive it hard, you'll not get so much.

There are however badly tuned ones out there - ours now gives more economy and better performance than when we bought it - and I had it performing better still a bit back, without apparently hurting the mpg; but it was just a bit smoky, so I've backed it off a tad again.

Apart from the obvious, checking the valve clearances frequently helps; the EGR thing can misbehave and TBH is better off blanked off providing it passes the test like that, the intercooler can get full of crud which restricts it (next thing to play with, on ours, in fact).

Also, some of them seem to be set a bit "slow" on the injection pump, which makes for a nice clean exhaust but no performance, and the pump timing can usefully be advanced a bit from the book figure, IME.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Why do you need a Landy for that kind of driving ?

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

P> i am working on 27mpg. is that a realistic figure?

Hello, Paul!

Posted the same sort of question here about a year ago - and I'm now happy to reciprocate

In a year of varied driving just over 23mpg. However the main journeys are her commutes of just a few miles to work and back (and home for lunch) Only a few miles and through the lanes hardly sees top gear.

On a run, can get up to 28mpg. With the Horse Box - It's not cheap - dropped to around 21mpg

Hope this helps

Buy one anyway - you'll love it!!

Not so Clever Trevor.

Reply to
Not so Clever Trevor

G'day Paul....

I gotta 1997 Defender 110 TDi300 Just completed 3500kms down through NSW and west to east through Victoria . Mountains, plains, traffic, speedlimit on highways ( 110kph) , Cities, 2 wheel dirt roads, rain and shine. ... My wife and self, Loaded to the gunnels with camping gear, food, water, fuel etc. Kept accurate records from _all_ refills and finally filled at station near home on return.

Quite confident in average ( for _my_ vehicle) was 28.9 mpg. .... so I reckon 27mpg for yours would be pretty close to the mark!

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Our 1991 200 Tdi Disco only has about 85,000 miles on it and with a mixed ratio of mainly country road driving, a few long blasts down the motorway and the very occasional trailer and light off road work it's averaged just a tad under 30 mpg over all. If one really tries to economise, using the sort of techniques they used to employ in the Mobil Economy Run (Showing my age), we can get 34 mpg

Reply to
Moving Vision

If I got that out of my series I would be dancing on the roof :)

Reply to
Larry

paul . you should get between 26 and 36mpg , the higher figure will require you driving at 50mph as this speed in 5th gear is when the turbo isnt under much load and not adding a lot of extra fuel .

another factor depends on what tyres youre vehicle has fitted and what diameter they are compared to normal fitment tyres .

a vehicle fitted with 205x16 tyres will show higher MPG than one fitted with say 7.50x16 tyres .

i think the standard tyres for a discovery are 235x75x16 and with these youll get correct mileage figures and speedo readings ..

some owners fit different sized tyres and then this will alter readings from the oddometer in one way or other .

with the 300tdi , when the turbo starts pulling it adds extra fuel along with normal injection and this can have a marked effect on fuel comsumption if you drive with the turbo pulling hard all the time . if you keep the revs lower and drive at around 50-55mph thats when you see best mileage figures .

some people play around with the fuel metering levels on the injector pump and if yours has been turned up to increase power it will reduce fuel economy .

on my 300tdi i backed off the fuel metering and gained an extra 4mpg , i have the metering set a little low as it wont accelerate at low speeds [below 25mph] ] in 5th anymore and i have to drop gears but i have no black smoke out of exhaust even when floored in 5th gear going uphill .

the turbo fuel metering can be adjusted by rotating the diaphragm at top of injector pump and the fuel metering can be altered by a screw at rear of pump .

it is unlikely youll need to adjust the fuel metering unless you have serious problems left you by previous owners attempts at a performance diesel tuneup for all out power .

to measure fuel economy easily use a GPS and check youre speedo against it over a short trip , say 10 miles or 100miles , then you can determine how much the speedo is out by and work out a correction factor if youre speedo is out a little .

on a trip to work with mine i have say 10.2miles reading on the speedo and 10.9 miles on GPS track , approx 7% lower mileage on oddometer than ive actually done , hence i have to add 7% to my oddometer readings when calculating MPG figures .

i use non std 7.50x16 tyres and they are mud terrain type with new tread and somewhat larger in diameter than original tyres were that were fitted .

Reply to
m0bcg

Could you enlighten me to such techniques?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Driving in bare feet was one I remember... No coasting was allowed, and it was all down to sensitive use of the throttle. Decent burst up to cruising speed, then backing off the the minimum possible setting to maintain it.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around 30 Apr 2005 14:20:59 -0700, "m0bcg" enlightened us thusly:

or people setting it so bloody low that it won't pull off without stalling unless you rev the nuts off it.

Which is about what ours was like. I don't expect to stall diesels on the flat.

Reply to
Austin Shackles