Disco belt squeal revisited

Done to death I know so apologies, but... reading back thorugh the various 'cures' for this problem some of those afflicted suggest WD40 on the belts for temporary relief -- is this actually squirted directly onto the belts and/or pulleys? Doesn't that make 'em slip even more (albeit without the squeal)?!

Reply to
Jerry

Spraying WD40 on the belt/pulleys is just supposed t o tell you where the noise is coming from. My advice would be that you can pick up a couple of belts for not much more that a big tin of WD40 so it's probably best to change them, as it only takes a little while,

UNless of course its the 300tdi in which case you're on your own!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| Jerry wrote: ||| Done to death I know so apologies, but... reading back thorugh the ||| various 'cures' for this problem some of those afflicted suggest ||| WD40 on the belts for temporary relief -- is this actually squirted ||| directly onto the belts and/or pulleys? Doesn't that make 'em slip ||| even more (albeit without the squeal)?! || || Spraying WD40 on the belt/pulleys is just supposed t o tell you where || the noise is coming from. My advice would be that you can pick up a || couple of belts for not much more that a big tin of WD40 so it's || probably best to change them, as it only takes a little while, || || UNless of course its the 300tdi in which case you're on your own! || || Dave

300Tdi is a slice of baked sweet dessert, as long as you have that elusive 15mm socket and a bar about a mile long to de-tension the tensioner. 10 minutes to change, max.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:20:20 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

not that changing it necessarily stops the squeak, mind you.

You can improvise with 2 spanners. 15mm combination on the tensioner, and another ring spanner hooked onto the open end.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On the 300 tdi, slight wear in the plastic part of the tensioner is enough to push the belt sideways. A bit more, and the belt rides off by one groove and wraps a length of rubber round the viscous fan coupling. Then it's time for a new tensioner.

Surely everyone owning one of Solihull's finest also owns a breaker bar and enough scaffold tube to have nearly bankrupted SGB?

Reply to
Autolycus

wd40 does work. i should imagine that most mechanics have a tin of wd40 or equivalent in stock already though - so it is a free test to see which belt/pulley it is squeaking! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Drop of water does the same.

New OEM belt and tensioner will see off the squeak.

Reply to
Hirsty's