Disco electrics

Hi yall,

anyone know anyone who's a bit handy with disco electrics and lives in S Cheshire ?

It's a long story, but my (usually reliable) local garage keeps introducing more problems than they solve...

TIA DCH

Reply to
david harrison

On or around Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:55:14 +0000 (UTC), "david harrison" enlightened us thusly:

which disco and what problems?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

david harrison vaguely muttered something like ...

I think it has to be said that there isn't a lot of information to be going on with. A remote diagnosis might be a tad difficult without .....

;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Evenin' all,

I was really looking to find someone to fix it, rather than advice on how to do it myself - can't stand fiddling with bits of trim etc to get to them, and now I've had a bellyful.

Anyway, I'll try to keep it short. Dolly is '90 tdi.

  1. Heater blower packs up.
  2. Local garage removes facia & says "it's the blower motor, mate, and there ain't any new ones left, no-one makes a pattern part and 22 local breakers haven't got one. If you can get one we'll fit it, but we've put it back together and we won't charge you".
  3. "Bugger," I thought, "but at least they're being reasonable about it". Thanked them very much, got in drove to the gate, indicated left, and it was obvious that one of the LH indicators didn't work 'cos they flashed at double speed.
  4. Went back in, said "have you got a bulb, 'cos one's just gone". "Sure," they said, "and we'll fit it for you". Fitted new bulb to LH rear, but it still didn't work. Swapped LH & RH, but LH still didn't work.
  5. "Bugger," they said, "we've obviously done something during the facia removal & refit. Leave it with us, and we'll sort it out".
  6. A couple of days later, they phone to say it's fixed. Claimed it was the column switch, said they'd fitted a second hand one, the fault wasn't related to the work they'd done and charged me £15. I was sceptical that it just happened to fail while they took it apart, but I paid up and thanked them for their trouble.
  7. A month later, I've got a second hand heater assy from RGB in Essex, and Dolly is back in to have it fitted. I go in to pick her up, and the feller says "there you go, it's outside", and hands me the key. I asked how much for fitting it, and he says "the boss is on holiday, pop in next week and settle up".
  8. I get in, start her up, switch on the blower, and nothing happens. I go back in the workshop, point this out to the feller, and he says "oh yeah...the new blower doesn't work either...or maybe there's something else wrong...bring it back next week and we'll have a look".
  9. I get in and go home. Take the heater assy that they've removed and put
12v onto the connector, earth the pins in turn, and I get all three speeds...repeat the test under Dolly's facia and I get all three speeds.
  1. Resolve never to go near them again, and realise the LHR indicator has packed up. Now I actually swear. Swap bulbs LH & RH, but no difference.

Now I have a disco with no heater blower, no LHR indicator, no heater control illumination, no clock illumination, displaced screen vents, a loose column cowl, and rattles all over the place, and a few bits of broken plastic that fell out of the facia.

Investigation shows fuses all ok, failed bulb in clock, damaged copper track in heater control illumination, damaged screwholes in column cowl, missing screws all over the place and broken brackets under the facia.

I can't figure out what failure mode in the column switch could cause only the LHR indicator to pack up. Seems to me that it must be a fault in the wire to that lamp (earth ok 'cos all others in the cluster work fine). If I put a trailer on, LH trailer works ok and they run at correct speed, but LHR on the car doesn't work. That indicates the flasher unit is ok, and backs up the broken wire theory. Can't take a trailer everywhere just to have indicators !

As far as the heater blower is concerned, it's either in supply/earthing or the blower switch.

So, I'm looking for someone who knows their stuff to sort it out for me. Any suggestions ?

Thanks, David

PS Sorry, It's not very short, but I did try....

Reply to
david harrison

On or around Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:44:35 +0000 (UTC), "david harrison" enlightened us thusly:

sadly, it'll cost yer. The fascia removal and refit is about 4 hours, ISTR, if you do it carefully enough not to have broken brackets and missing screws etc etc... plus however long it takes to trace the wiring faults.

whereabouts in the country are you?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

david harrison vaguely muttered something like ...

snipped a line or two ... ;)

I have used RCV (Roberts Country Vehicles) in Doncaster for a couple of bits and bobs, they did a CV joint and all discs and pads very cheaply and did an excellent job. They also did my timing belt etc .. ;)

Every time I've spoke they're polite, reasonable and seem so far to do a great job. I can't say how good they are on electrics, but I'd guess if you call them you could make your own mind up. They also have a place in Kent.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yes, I can second that. Before I moved away I have used RCV a few times, and they were knowledgeable, helpful and (I think) not too expensive.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Thanks guys, Doncaster farther than I'm willing to go, I'll keep looking a bit closer to home.

Reply to
david harrison

david harrison vaguely muttered something like ...

An indication of area you can get to would help then ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Reply to
david harrison

david harrison vaguely muttered something like ...

Bugger .. missed that .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx