Disco Haynes manual question

Okay, being a newbie Discovery owner, (US Spec 1996 Discovery VIN beginning with SALJY1240T...), Does the Haynes manual "LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 1989 TO

1998 (G to S REGISTRATION) PETROL AND DIESEL" cover my Discovery? What does the G to S registration refer to?
Reply to
C R

those are prefixes on UK licence plates which relate to the year the car was registered (usually) with the full number you can also find which region the car was from see

if you have not got the owners manual you can download it direct from Land Rover the workshop manual is available elsewhere online Derek

Reply to
Derek

C R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Prefix on the registration of the vehicle which identified the age of the vehicle unless some one has a cherrished number transfered to it.

On onlder Brit cars prior to a A Prefix (1983) then the letters which identified the age were a suffix

Example: G123 ABC - G = 1989 August to July 1990 car, 123 is a sequential number that the licencing office allocate.. i.e. the next would be 124, the A is meaningless and the BC would identify the local vehicle licensing office so you could tell where a car origionated from.

Older cars pre '83 had the suffix for the age rather like my 101 and Series IIa which are like ABC 123G

Some letters such as O Z I U were missed out incase they became confuse, yet now our current system inclueds Z's

Current system (just to confuse you further) is AB 01 DEF where as AB is the area ID 01 is the year and DEF is random, next would be DEG, DEH,DEJ and so on.

Half way through the year we also get new numbers so a 2006 car could be AB06CDE or later in the year if registered would be AB56CDE, then next year cars will be made up of AB07CDE and AB57CDE............. IYSWIM

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:53:34 GMT, "C R" enlightened us thusly:

Yes, it should do. You can look up the VIN on Calvin to confirm the build date.

Austin Shackles