disco I front brakes

In a quest to decide whether to keep the current disco and improve it or whether to replace it with a newer one, I decided to cost the improvements I'd like to make, and one is to replace the discs and calipers...

This raises couple of questions...

Obviously, if I'm replacing discs and calipers, there's the option to upgrade to vented discs.

am I right in thinking that to do this, all I need are vented discs and the right calipers?

Are the brake pads the same as the later-model non-vented ones? Reason for asking is that I have in stock a set of EBC "green" for the non-vented ones. If vented ones are different pads, then I have nothing else that these pads will fit.

Prices for discs and calipers look about the same, so the matter of pads may be decisive as I've never found that the non-vented kind are really a disadvantage, although there was obviously a reason for upgrading them when LR did it. The vehicle doesn't get used for a lot of heavy towing, so the braking is rarely that critical.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is there any reason you want to replace the calipers? A set of seals (and possibly pistons) should make them good as new for significantly less cost.

I believe that spacer kits for the calipers are often supplied for this conversion, in which case the same brake pads will fit.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:31:31 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Just been changing the pads on the rear ones, and the calipers don't look that impressive. They're only about 50 quid for a complete new one. I might look at stainless pistons plus new seals, see how they compare. The rear caliper bodies look a bit rusty, but they're still functional now they've been unseized, stops quite a lot better, too :-)

Point is, I'm looking at doing either a lot of updating and replacing on this truck or buying something considerably lower mileage and/or age. Adding up all the things I could think of on Paddock's handy LR running cost calculator (aka online shop) comes to just over a grand - and it doesn't all have to be bought at once, so really, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

that list, BTW:

new brake calipers and discs all round new side steps new rear step new mudflaps new complete exhaust rubber mat set all the way through new driver's side mirror braided brake hose kit.

I think that was all I listed, but it occurs to me now that I'd intended to add new road springs and front dampers (rear dampers only just been done) which adds about another 120 quid, maybe.

So really, no decision. There's not a lot wrong with it, at that, that a bit of money spent and a bit of work won't cure.

oh, and it needs new tyres soon, but they all need that - and no guarantee that a second hand one comes with good tyres.

hmmm, that's a point. especially if going the rebuild route on the calipers, rather than new.

The "official" pads are a different number, but that don't necessarily make 'em different pads...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

This an immutable law of the cosmos. All secondhand vehicles will have tyres at or below the legal limit. Unless of course you have bought the car from me, in which case they will be virtually brand new with the little bibbly bits still on 'em. I sort of factor in an extra 400 notes on any car I'm looking at, cos I like to have good tyres (ample tread, known not to have been kerbed etc).

Reply to
Richard Brookman