Disco II noises...

Hi,

OK you are all into series Landrovers not warm, dry, comfortable, Discos but perhaps you can answer a few little queries on my recently aquired Disco II (2001, TD5, Y Reg, 30,000miles). B-)

1) Occasionally a few seconds after starting there is a short drumming noise that appears to come from the bulkhead ares just on the drivers side of center.

2) Hitting a bump moderatley hard (sleeping policeman, pot hole) will trigger a noise that is probably something to do with the traction control but the TC light doesn't come on.

3) A few tens of seconds after stopping the engine, there is an compressed air escaping noise coming from midway back underneath.

4) Not a noise but an indicator light sequence. Some times at switch on whilst waiting for the glow plug light to go out both indicator lights relating to the air suspension come back on after the self test for perhaps 5s then go out and stay out. No obvious noises.

For all of the above points are these "normal", something needing investigation or something to be worried about.

TIA.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ABS pump calibrating IME. Nothing to worry about.

It is the TC getting ready to trigger. What you hear is actually the pump spinning up, not the TC itself kicking in. Annoying, but not a problem.

Does the car have Self Levelling Suspension or ACE? If it did I'd suggest it's one of those systems venting.

No ideal.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I have a late DiscoII Facelift model. The noise heard having hit a pot hole or temporarily lost grip is the traction control system. The air noise assuming you have SLS is the system de-pressurising.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Why never heard of ABS doing this before...

Understandable, makes you jump the first time though.

Both. Just worrying, I'm pretty sure the User Manual doesn't mention these noises, though I'll have another read (when all else fails, read the instructions).

The initial self test I can understand but having both come back on again after that is again unnerving. You expect warning lights to warn you of something sort of important once they have gone through the self test routine. Not just come on because it's "normal" for them to do so, they must mean something.

Anyway I'll get the book out and have another read but not tonight to windy, cold and wet to go outside.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice