Disco II rear brake caliper

The LH rear brake caliper on my 2000 series II Discovery has decided to keep sticking partially on. Everything warms up rather too nicely back there and I'm now only getting 24 to 25 mpg so I'm going to swap it for a recon unit. Is it a similar operation to that on the old Series I Disco/ Range Rover? Are there any special "gotchas" to be aware of when bleeding the system (bearing in mind it's got ABS and the traction control thingie fitted)?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

I should have added that if anyone has any ideas why the rear left should stick partially on, other than because of a fault with the caliper, then I'd like to hear what the cause/remedy might be.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

next time it sticks on, release the bleed nipple, if it frees off then it could be the brake hose closing up inside had this 6 months or so ago on the Escort

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:35:16 +0100, "Steve" enlightened us thusly:

usually just the pistons sticking. push piston out, clean thoroughly... but chances are you find that it's rusty and then you end up wanting new pistons and new seals and in the end it's easier and not much more expensive to replace the caliper with a new one.

rebuilding calipers is not at all hard though and should be possible with it still on the vehicle, or at least without disconnecting the hydraulic pipe(s), if that makes any odds.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Steve writes

Disco II use sliding calipers that are more prone to sticking than fixed ones. Make sure the slides are free to move. Pistons seam so seize more often too on Disco II.

Fitting is very simple.

Reply to
Marc Draper