Disco II recommendations Pt 1

Disco II Td5. Front discs and pads will need replacing before June when I go on holiday. More braking power is always welcome. I've heard good things about the EBC "green" kit with slotted discs, but they are pretty expensive (axle set works out at £226 + shipping from EBC, may get cheaper elsewhere). Haven't enquired about OEM prices yet.

Questions:

a) are they worth the extra? b) will they work with standard calipers?

Any other recommendations?

TIA

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Personally, I'd leave it all std parts. My 4.0V8 DII will virtually stand on its nose when required, and the std brakes are lovely and sharp with excellent response and feel. The other issue I have came across with EBC Greenstuff (and even more so the red ones!) is that when the brakes are cold they're crap! You need to get heat into them to get any benefits, hence why they are so popular with "trackday style" drivers. IMO, not worth fitting to a road-going, sensibly driven vehicle when the std brakes are more than adequate to stop it in a hurry. If you jump on the brakes really hard in the dry you can get the ABS to cut in, so what benefit would more braking power give other than possibly getting the ABS to cut in at a slightly reduced pedal pressure? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I'll be towing over the Alps in a few weeks, so any increase in durability or fade resistance would be welcome. I take your point, though - I have no complaints about the standard brakes, and standard would be a) cheaper and b) easier to replace in remoter locations.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Badger's reply is pretty much what I was going to post. You can use EBC green pads with standard rotors is you just want a bit more fade resistance. But it's probably better to use standard pads/rotors and drive a bit more gently when towing in the alps (as a bonus when you're at home on the school run you know the brakes will work on a cold morning when that kiddy jumps out in front of you at the first corner).

Reply to
EMB

Shouldn't be driving on the brakes anyway, use the engine and sod the queue behind you. B-)

Or you could do what they do with the buses and trucks for the long(*) mountain decents in China. Fill a tank on the roof with water and let it dribble over the brakes. I didn't get to see brake arrangement I suspect drums rather than discs though.

(*) As in ten+ miles and 5,000'+ height loss.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Rich:

I fitted my '96 Disco with DBA slotted/drilled rotors and love them. I also fitted the EBC green pads at the time. As another post suggested they need to heat up to get any "real" benefit. If they are not heated up they will SQUEAL. I have since switched back to standard pads, lost the squeal and still have better braking performance over OEM.

The DBA and EBC rotors are designed to work with OEM calipers. Land Rover over-built the calipers to a 4 piston design in the front and a 2 piston design in the rear, reflects motorsport standards into everyday use. Most American cars only have 1 piston in the front and rear respectively. I remember hearing that Baer calipers have a 6 and even an 8 piston design.

My first LR was a '91 Classic. When changing out the pads I was pleasantly surprised with the calipers. For the DIY pads are easy. Remember to fit new pins and springs to stop any future clunking from the pads.

Get a new hub gasket kit for each rotor your replacing, its just good insurance. Inspect bearings and repack with new grease. I'm a bit of an oil/grease snob and only use Mobile 1 on my Disco. Depending on the mileage, you may want to think about replacing the bearings and races altogether since they are going to be off the vehicle anyhow.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

er, there's one thing that sticks out at me "discovery SERIES TWO, thinking about changing the BRAKES" sound familiar Rich

Reply to
Dave R

|| er, there's one thing that sticks out at me "discovery SERIES TWO, || thinking about changing the BRAKES" sound familiar Rich

Just my bad karma.

Reply to
Richard Brookman