disco II suspension

bastard thing decided to sit on it's arse. was working fine on the way to where I went yetserday, then during the day it decided to go flat. Pump isn't running, so I guess either the pump#s shagged or the system isn't telling it to run.

warning light is on, which it didn't do when it had a dodgy sensor last month, it just drove along on the piss.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Metal springs - you know it makes sense! Use the 7 seat ones.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:45:05 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

AIUI, although it's something of a techincality, it's not type-approved for steel springs and 7 seats.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:44:01 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

well, that's wierd. This morning, the battery was down (possibly some system which was active 'cos of the suspension fault), so when I tried to start it to move it to investigate the fault, it went dead and sounded the alarm.

After the obligatory cursing, I pulled the Rangie up beside it, connected jump leads, and started it - and it sat there and pumped up to normal height. I then tried it in extended height, which it did normally, then back to normal height, then I stood on the back step, and it adjusted, and I got off the back step, and it adjusted again.

So... did effectively disconnecting the battery reset it somehow? or is it that the pump was iffy and started working again?

I'll phone the garage, and if they reckon it'll have stored a fault code, I might take it to have it's head read. It should have, 'cos it put the fault light on...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd consider that irrelevant. Type approval is only a mechanism to allow manufacturers to avoid individually certifying each and every vehicle produced and Land Rover chose to type approve only the air sprung 7 seater for the UK market.

Once you've got it you can do what you like subject to maintaining legality and ensuring that you don't fall out with your insurer etc..

The 7 seat metal sprung version exists as an official Land Rover configuration and I wouldn't expect insurer problems. The 7 seat metal springs are readily available - I've got them on my 5 seater.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:58:20 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

hmmm... 500 quid odd for a full diagnostic system tied to one vehicle, but on which you can add other vehicles (for more money, natch)... tempting.

latest offering from the people who made rovacom.

Wouldn't take many visits to the garage to pay for that... plus, if none of the locals have one, I could offer my services for hire :)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:44:01 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

took it to the garage, nothing very obvious in the fault store... LHS rear height sensor out of range (IIRC) and a bunch of "duty cycle exceeded", and a "pump realy open circuit" which was likely caused by me pulling the relay to see if swapping it made any difference.

If it happens again I'll try disconnecting the battery, though...

Reply to
Austin Shackles