disco load capacity

anyone know the load capacity of the rear of a '96 Disco?

I've been carrying bags of sand, gravel and cement and would like to know how much I can carry safely.

Reply to
tiscali

If you look at the chassis plate it should state the GVW - this is the fully loaded maximum vehicle weight. If you then look up the actual kerb weight of the disco (google should find this or a haynes manual) you can work out the amount of load from the difference. Since most of your weight is at the rear i'd look at mainly the difference in the rear axle figures.

I decided it would be eaiser to get everything at once and spend over £100 at the builders merchants and get the free delivery rather than getting the back of the 101 dirty ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Roughly 590Kg on a 300tdi 5 door +45kg for 3door provided you don't exceed the GVW which is according to the data page 2720 kg ( EU kerbside wt inc driver is 2100kg ) but check your VIN plate. Knowing Disco boot floors I would be checking very carefully before loading anything like that.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hmmm....I had about 30x25kg bags = 750kg in the back for a short trip. Fingers crossed I didn't break anything!

Reply to
tiscali

Well the EU weight includes a full tank of fuel, so you may be able to take some credit from that.

Of course you didn't break anything, there's always a large margin for safety, at least 1.5 at a guess. (in aviation anyway) But you wouldn't have got a penny from your insurers if you'd had a bump and if the vehicle loading came to their attention. And I suppose you could have been done by the cops or VOSA chaps if they had pulled you over at a weighbridge - though I suspect that would be very unlikely, given that they seem to concentrate on commercial vehicles.

You'd be better with a little trailer IMO.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

You won't break anything mechanical....... but it might fall through the rusty floor pan :-)

Reply to
Marc Draper

dunno about discos, but I got 60 square yards of damp turf in the rangie ;-) the air suspension went into limp home cos of the over pressure on the exhaust valves :-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:49:27 -0500, tiscali wrote (in article ):

I have put 1200 lbs in the back of mine. But I would suggest taking the carpet out and looking at the condition of the floor pan. We I was putting in Tie downs I found a lot of rust. There are four plastic plugs under the carpet that water can get through. I have load leveler air bags and Old man Emu Heavy duty springs to help keep the back from sagging.

I also put down the back seat so I can put a lot of the weight dead center.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck