Disco lock and fuel gauge

Ok, so I bought a Disco, but I've got two problems.

1/ How much fuel do you have to use before the gauge drops from full?

2/ Is there a known problem with the locks and in particular the ignition switch lock on N reg Discos?

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Hi John,

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Discovery ownership :-)

My fuel gauge doesn't move off the full mark until I've done about 70 miles ... then it drops like a stone :-)

Dodgy ignition barrels are not unheard of. They jam up, refuse to move from locked and (on occasions) fall to pieces. Try a smear of graphite grease on the key and insert/remove several (dozen) times.

HTH

Regards

Steve G

John Stokes wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

Cheers Steve, I've got a similar problem with the iginition on my Rover car. I drove up to Lake Vyrnwy today to have a play through the mountains. I covered 178 miles on motorway and mountain tracks, returning 35 MPG, which I didn't think was bad, but the gauge didn't move at all from full. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

'94 Disco here and agree with the 50 to 70 miles approx before showing on guage.

Reply to
cyberwraith

Snap

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

It's likely to be a wire broken on the petrol pick up inside the tank. Well, that's what mine was.

In the boot (trunk?) remove the carpeting and you'll see a roundish plate, about 10" diameter, held down by six screws. Remove the screws and you'll see the top of the petrol tank and the pickup, and three (I think) fuel hoses. The pickup is held in by a large collar that you need to unscrew. It's torqued down tightly so should take a fair bit of effort and ingenuity to get it open, but when you do you can pull the thing out as a unit. When it's out there's a float on a hinge and near the fulcrum of the hinge is a pcb wiper board which has soldered to it a very small wire ... mine was broken at the solder and just needs soldering back together. ;)

Assembly is the reverse of the above

I only found this out _after_ buying a new one to replace it ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ain't that usually the way, afterwards! D'oh!

Reply to
cyberwraith