Disco Mpi engine fitted to series vehicle

People Hi,

I would be grateful if you could provide your input on this.

I seem to remember a discussion related to fitting a Discovery Mpi 2.000 16V engine to a series vehicle.

We are currently considering this option locally (in Greece) for a Series 3,

109" which was originaly fitted with the 2.6 6 cylinder engine which is now fast approaching its death.

A reconditioned 6 cylinder engine is way too expensive, a 2.5 petrol engine will also need reconditioning, fitting a nice diesel engine is not permited in Greece (please do not ask why) so the solution of a Rover 2.0 16V engine is very interesting.

Could someone please shed some light? What will be required? Are the parts ready? Will the standard series gearbox and transmission components mate OK with the Mpi engine or do we need a different bellhousing or an adaptor ring?

Fitting new engine to chassis mounts may be required but this is not a very difficult problem to overcome. If there is a ready solution or the engine drops right in place this will be even better though.

Thanks in advance for your kind input Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Why ?? Try to get a near on decent diesel ??

Reply to
Hirsty's
"

Sorry stupid of me did'nt read properly, but why is the diesel not an option in Greece ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

Dunno mate but the mpi engine is no fireball and prone to self destruct when punished in a Disco if you are intent on on a transplant the magazine gurus all rate the phyically similar Rover 800 turbo as the best option with a power output closer to the V8 I had a look round for Milner Converions who did all the necessary bits but it looks like the are going japanese . If you consider a ford transplant then

be able to help .Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:13:18 +0300, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

I know someone who did one, and reckoned it was good. unfortunately I don't know where he is now.

The 16V 2 litre is higher revving than a series motor and may be hard on the transmission. if it's a SWB then I exepct it'd be quite a good machine - considerably more power than a 2.25 or even a 6.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hirtsy Hi,

Unfortunately Greek legislation does NOT allow changing from using petrol to using diesel on your car.

It was only very recently that they allowed the use of LPG on petrol engined cars and the use of LPG on diesel powered vehicles is still unclear whether is allowed or not.

According to the Greek law it is also prohibited to use a diesel powered private car (Taxis and commercial vehicles are exempted) in the two main Greek cities (Athens and Thessaloniki) but then again any non Greek citizen can drive his diesel powered private use car there. So since the E.U. treaties of free access of ALL E.U. citizens everywhere in the all member countries over-rule national legislation this Greek law is in fact invalid.

But policemen can still stop a Greek registered diesel powered car, fine the driver and from there on you can just go to court and win the case with the Greek State.

--------

So a swap to a diesel engine is not possible.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Derek thanks.

So does Milner conversions was offering an Mpi/2.0 lt 16V Rover engine fitting kit for Series vehicles?

A Ford is a viable alternative maybe but it will have to be a petrol engine anyway.

Thanks for the input Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Austin Hi,

I was able to find the site of a fellow LR enthusiast who has fitted a turbocharged 2.0 engine from an 820 to a series vehicle but it does look quite complicated and I can not picture a Land Rover Series 3, 109" which belongs to the University of Creta, Natural History Faculty being fitted with a boy racer 2.0 Turbocharged engine. Can you?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Thanks, did make me wonder John H Good luck with the hunt

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:16:29 +0300, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

The chap I know has a site:

Austin Shackles

I like that Austin despite his best efforts its using less fuel than a 2.25 Derek

Reply to
Derek

Austin Hi,

yes that is the one I also had in mind.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. I just remembered that I about two years ago I bought a brand new Mpi R380 gearbox from a chap in the UK who had used the engine to make a similar conversion on a Series vehicle. I will try and find his phone number and ask him about it. IF I manage to speak with him I will let you know.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos