Disco "p" reg stiff diff lock lever

Hi all,

just a quick question if anyone could point me in the right direction ref a sticky/stiff high low lever?. mine seems to go into high and low box ok, but needs both hands to push it in to diff lock position but is fairly (well only one hand and a hard push) when in the "N" position. it also seems very stiff coming back again. the haynes manual is some what unclear as to how it is linked to the transfer box either by cable/rod or direct into the box. it was ok about 3 weeks ago when it was last locked, but since then has got very stiff. any help or advice would be great.

many thanks

adrian

Reply to
ad

It's effectively all external rods between the bottom of the lever and the transfer box. If not moved regularly the linkage can seize up.

There's an illustration of the bottom end of the linkage in the LR manual. I'll e-mail you the pages.

Get underneath and spray the external linkage and where shafts pass into housings with WD40 (not very effective), penetrating oil, diesel etc. and then make at lot of use of the lever. Once it's reasonably free try to get some heavier oil onto the linkage joints.

The diff. lock connections are the ones that go to the vertical shaft through the three bolt plate at the top front of the front output shaft housing

Unless it's been totally neglected that should be enough. There are further internal possibilities but let's not think about them yet!

Make a habit of using the lever in all modes every so often to keep it free.

Reply to
Dougal

Many thanks for that, it normaly gets used a bit but been of the road for about 3-4 weeks due to electrical problems dam spiders and starter relays and hmm burnt wiring from the ignition switch . again thanks for the help.

adrian

Reply to
ad

You are not on your own I habitually run through the transfer box while I'm down on the farm ( hi lo lock unlock )to avoid embaressment when it might stick in low or locked when I catually need it so I've got to get under and do mine for the same reason funny tho the 200Tdi never has a problem. Derek

Reply to
Derek