Disco rear floor rot

I've only got myself to blame. Leak from rear skylight/sunroof finally rotted rear floor panel.

Anyone experienced in tracking down this leak (according to LR mag its common). Is it easy to fix?

About the floor. Note one supplier describes the floor panel as "Weld in". Don't fancy that. Cant I just drop on to floor support crossmembers and seal/screw?

I had an old Classic RR once and had that rear panel out and back in no probs.

Thought also crosses mind -- I used to own a beautiful (in my eyes) Morris 1000 Van that had a rear floor panel of wood. Anyone ever tried to replace the disco rear floor panel with a board? (suitably waterproofed underneath of course)

Thanks in anticipation

John.

Reply to
John

It might be the sunroof - but it's more likely to be coming from _below_ (yes, below!) the gutter.

At each side, about 4 inches from the back, immediately below the gutter, at the top of a vertical seam, there's a point where 3 panels meet. Look closely, you'll probably find a tiny hole. It may well have paint and tape over it, but water gets through.

Solution is to pop off the 2 gutter trim clips, then carefully (very carefully) ease off the gutter trim. Apply silicone or similar.

There was some discussion about this on the LRO Discovery forum about a month ago. If I remember correctly, the general opinion was that it would be OK to drop it in , seal with sikaflex or whatever, and screw or pop-rivet - as long as the rot hadn't spread too far into the surrounding plate.

Be careful when you cut it out - there are fuel pipes about an inch below.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce

[...]

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 07:03:19 +0100, "John" enlightened us thusly:

speaking of leaks...

water exiting the headlining from the front corner by the windscreen pillar.

any bets on where it's gonna be coming in from? The sunroofs (old type, of course) appear to have sound seals. There's a small gap in one of the alpine light rubbers though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which side?

Does it smell of screenwash?

The tube for the rear washer runs up the windscreen pillar at the passenger side, along above the doors to the jet beside the tailgate door. maybe it's sprung a leak?

but sunroofs or alpines sound a more likely bet.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 21:35:11 +0100, Bruce enlightened us thusly:

seemed to be clean water. I suspect it had leaked in while stationary, and then ran out when I decelerated.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 1/6/04 9:29 am:

We've not really had that problem. Bruce checked ours a couple of months ago and apart from the drinks the kids have spilt on the floor in the back its dry. The rubber mat on the floor seems to have saved it from most of the water that drips from the sunroof.

Our front sunroof is the worst on ours. We have no lid for the cubby box(kids kicked it)so the water that doesn't go down your neck when you go round a corner, often ends up in the box.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley