Disco rocker cover gasket?

Hi guys.

I've been looking at the Disco servicing kit that Difflock sells as a quick/cheap way to buy most of what I need for my next service. I've noticed they provide a rocker gasket cover.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know engines. Give me a PC and I'll make it jump through the most amazing hoops, hell, I move packets for a living[1]. I'm a bit of a have-a-go guy, give me the instructions and I'll try anything (at least once[4]). But the thought of opening up the engine to me is fairly scary - particularly from the comments I've heard about the dubious quality of the Haynes manual (the only set of 'instructions' I've got).

So my question is, given that I don't have any mates-with-toolkits to call on should I f*ck things up and I haven't tried this before, how much work/risk is there in changing this gasket? Are there caveats that I should be aware of that the Haynes manual is completely ignoring?[2]

I'm probably over-reacting, but opening the guts of the machine up brings thoughs of very expensive screwups. :) I suspect that once I do start doing things like this I'll get enough confidence to try something else next time, like, say, a gearbox overhaul or something[3]... *grin*

Much thanks in advance for your sage advice. :)

Cheers, Aled.

[1] That's IP Packets - I work for an ISP as a Sysadmin/Netadmin. [2] "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly" my arse. [3] I have a long list of things that I *need* to do and things I want to do. On the list of 'needs' is to get a new driver-side wing panel, because the old one's inside skin is being held together by curust, paint and hope. [4] Cue the story of the guy who told me that changing a water pump on a Honda Accord would only take about 30 mins. Well, he was right. It did however take me the best part of two days to take enough things off to actually be able to *get* to the water pump. That's when I learnt to hate Haynes manuals. "Remove all retaining bolts." Sounds simple until you learn that one of them was underneath the crakshaft pulley wheel, another behind the timing belt and a third underneath the aircon compressor. Cheers, thanks.
Reply to
Aled

No really - changing the rocker cover gasket is one of the easiest jobs on the engine - however, unless it's leaking why change it?

I think you'll find that the new gasket is in the kit for you to use when you check the tappets (valve clearances) as part of the service.

I'm assuming you have a Diesel Disco here as the V8's have hydraulic tappets that 'adjust' themselves (mostly).

Checking the tappets isn't tricky either - just needs a bit of logical thought and patience.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Er... =20

...aha. :) =20

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that.

Ah, good good. I'll have a peep at the Haynes book when I get home in=20 the morning. I've got a few weeks off coming up so I think some=20 maintenance is called for.

*sigh* The =A335 kit is great, but after adding all the other fluids I=20 need (it's time to change the diff oils and I don't know when the=20 transfer/gearbox oils were last changed) it works out at just over =A3100.= =20 I haven't even started looking at extras I want like a drainplug and a=20 few extra tools I need. I'd like a K&N filter as well...

Hrm, can I have an official birthday like the Queen has I wonder?

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

On or around Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:57:43 +0100, Aled enlightened us thusly:

you would be unlikely to need it. Assuming, of course, the 200 and 300 are the same - it's a rubber seal in a groove in the cover. unless it's been leaking or is obviously damaged, no need to change it. I've had the cover of the 300 here several times with no problems.

Haynes gives you the setting positions for the rockers to check/adjust the clearances. While doing so, check for presence and correctness of the little hats on the tops of the valve stems, which can it seems go AWOL. They sit between the rocker and the top of the valve stem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I googled a bit more last night and found that it's recommended that you=20 replace it every time you have the cover off. Since it's included in the=20 kit and the kit is pretty reasonable, I'll replace it anyway since I=20 have it.

Ah, shibby, thanks.

Only problem is now that the =A335 kit, in addition to the toys I want,=20 currently adds up to about =A3250. Oops.

And that's not including the new spotlights I want.=20

*sulk*

Ta, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

Technical term being valve rotator if you ever need to order them.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:16:12 +0100, Aled enlightened us thusly:

hehe. the joys of disco ownership... have you started looking at suspension mods yet?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oh don't get me started on things I need to do, nevermind mods. I need a=20 new rear wheel cover since mine died a few months ago, but I need=20 something I can put my own stickers on (unless I can get someone to put=20 reflective striping and lettering on it for cheap[1]). I need to sort=20 the dash out because it's annoying me where it's curled up and it's=20 apparently not covered by Landrover any more (they stopped doing it in=20

2002 apparently). I need to get new seals for most of the windows as the=20 old ones have cracked badly. The rear door needs sorting because it's=20 starting to drop[2]. The rear door hinges need work to get rid of rust.=20 I need to replace the inner wing on the offside. I need to Waxoyl it. I=20 need...

The list goes on and on. I've only had it for a year. :) That's all=20 before I start thinking about off-road capability - my usage is split=20 around 95% on road at the moment, though I'd like to bump that more=20 towards 85%. Anyone know of anywhere good off-road in South East London?=20 :)

Cheers, Aled.

[1] Yellow and red diagonal with "MOUNTAIN RESCUE" on it. Stripes need=20 to be of the very-high reflectivity that emergency services use. [2] Anyone know if you can do something about this? Like get a third=20 hinge or something?
Reply to
Aled

On or around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:32:20 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

really? The catalogue calls 'em "valve caps".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On vehicles I have worked on before, the valve rotators generally sit under the valve spring. I would think these are merely caps to protect the valve stem, and provide a harder surface for the rocker to rub/wear against...

Terry

Reply to
terry

Except on the LH cover on a fuel injected V8 LR. For that one you have to rfemove the plenum chamber.

Ron

"Simon Atkinson" wrote

Reply to
The Becketts

Not too bad a job - like most jobs on Land-Rover kit, the parts are heavy, but there is usually room to get to them!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I've just pulled the plenum off my P38A today (and the heads - I've blown a head gasket).

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts