Disco Search - Does this sound reasonable? Help appreciated :o)

Hi again all,

The hunt continues - have found the following almost on my doorstep - from a general s/h car dealer...

1994 L LAND ROVER DISCOVERY V8i ES, 5 door, 7 seater, automatic, green metallic with gull tan leather interior, LPG conversion (either side of chassis), pas, abs, twin airbags, air conditioning, remote central locking, radio / cassette, twin electric sunroofs, electric windows & door mirrors, service history, 74,800 miles.

Up for - £7,295

Sound reaseonable on price? Anything I should look for in particular on a Disco of this age?

When did the series 300s start?

Haven't look at it yet - hope to do that today/tomorrow, but it seems to fit our requirements...

Help/abuse/guidance appreciated :o)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Ogilvie
300 series started in 1974 don't know which month Peter
Reply to
Peter Seddon

I assume you mean 1994 but you may something we don't

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Thanks both - had assumed '94 - and I think the ES only started with the 300 model series?

Any handle on price? I'm told this one is in really nice condition...

Iain

Reply to
Iain Ogilvie

Sounds alot of money for a 10 year old V8. You will always find the tdi's hold their prices better. I work at an independent 4x4 garage and the car salesman offers peanuts for any V8's on a PX. I purchased a very tidy '99' V8 3.9i last year for 8K.

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

Whoops

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Hmmm...

Thanks Lee...

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places :o/

This one does have the LPG conversion though, and low mileage for year - so that's got to be worth something...

I'm good @ haggling - what should I be offering?

Is it worth leaving my details with a LR main agent in the hope that they get a cheap p/x in? Or do they sell them on only through 'trade'?

Alternatively - which 'independent 4x4 garage'? - I'll give you a call! ;o)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Ogilvie

Iain Ogilvie posted ...

Way too much IMHO.

Last year I bought an immaculate '97 (P reg) 300 Tdi 3 door 55,000 miles FSH, one owner for £7000

I had a full dealer service done and timing belt changed / uprated and had no worries since .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:20:41 -0000, "Iain Ogilvie" enlightened us thusly:

with all the toys and the gas conversion it's OK, I should think, 'specially if it's a full history and it's fully serviced. I'd want a good near-new set of tyres too at that money - decent-qulity tyres are around 400 quid a set, so you don't want worn ones on it, or else you want corresponding moolah off the price.

Be better if it was a 300-series (although you can soon tell) although in fact there's little functional difference, but the 200-type looks more dated now, the 300 is better looking.

look for: rear floor rot, sill rot. And that all the electrical toys work. Rear leccy windows have a known fault which is an easy enough fix.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds pricey to me. The gas conversion doesn't usually attract much of a premium. For that money you could get a newer 300Tdi with lower mileage. A local garage had a 1996 300Tdi Disco with 48,000 miles up for £8K - you could have probably had it for 7295 if you'd haggled - also with air con and cruise control. Not leather though.

Personally I'd not pay more than £5500 for what you describe, but it's whether *you* think it's worth it that's important!

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:04:49 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

it'd need to be genuine A1 condition, for that money. and besides, if it's up for 7295 then I bet it can be got cheaper by going in and waving bundles of notes at 'em - more so if you can find summat like tyres to say "yeah, but I'm going to have to spend XYZ in 2 months". If it happens to have a new set of Michelins or summat on it, that's getting on for 400 quid straight off, more than that for BFG, some of 'em.

Quality of service history is important too - a genuine full history is worth a few quid more.

The gas conversion doesn't attract a premium when sold, no. But it's worth about a grand to anyone buying it if they want a V8 and gas, IYSWIM. If you buy one for 5500 and have to pay a grand to get it converted, or more, then you're back over 6500. Buying one already converted (if it's a decent job and all working) saves you the hassle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Try County 4x4 on Buckingham Road and Paddock 4x4 off Mandeville road, assuming you're still in the area. They tend to do reasonably priced motors (more reasonably than that).

What's happened to the fast cars? You can't really take a Disco on a track day Iain!

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I'd want a very, very tidy 10 year old vehicle for this money, however I'm always slightly bemused by 'prices'. Essentially any vehicle is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. If you go look at it, take it for a long test drive, like it and feel confident in the overall integrity of the seller, then you may end up with a vehicle you'll be happy with for many years.

I'd try to edge the seller down to 6.5k if I liked it, all the same, though (wear a kilt when you go...) ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Hiya Paul,

Long time, no speak!

Still working in Aylesbury are - but moved out to the Cotswolds. Will check with the dealers you mentioned :o)

As to my taste in cars - I'm still a Lotus man

but have always liked Landies - need a Disco (rather than a *real* one! ;o) as a work tool for carting literature and stand around shows - as well as other stuff...

So haven't given upon the sporty numbers ;o)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Ogilvie

Prolly best I leave my kilt in the wardrobe - I'd hate to cause a scene! ;o)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Ogilvie