Disco Steel Rims - Are they rated for 110?

I've a set of Disco Steel rims with some rather aggresive tyres (Bronco Terminators) on the IIa.

Just pondering fitting them on the 110 for the winter, Question being are they up to the job as in rated to be used on them or am I best aborting this idea.

Of course if I do fit them we are pretty safe in the knowledge it won't snow!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They'll be good at least for the maximum axle load of the Disco which I suspect you will not exceed in normal day-to-day use on the 110. If however you plan to take the 110 to the gross weights commonly used by the electricity companies they are not man enough.

Reply to
Dougal

my landrover probably wont be going so chances are good that it will! :) however, its not too serious so it probably wont snow much.

This indicator of snowfall has worked for years! That year when it was really icy and they didnt grit I think the engine was out and being rebuilt in the garage...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just look at the thickness of the steel on the Disco rims, it's more than twice that of the 110" so I reckon they should be at least twice as strong.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Dodgy assumption as they may be different grade steel. Consider the strength of GRP versus steel in body shells.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Not an assumption at all, they're both fitted on Landrover products which are not just made for road use. Do you honestly think they are made from chewing gum or summat? Come out of your tree and I'll talk to you. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes, but :- a) Are they rated to carry the load, even if they will do so (thinking insurance). This is probably the important point for most people.

b) Since the design is different, and strength depends on both design and thickness (as well as strength of material), just because material is thicker doesn't mean it is stronger - for example, if my memory is correct the "disc" on the Discovery wheel is less dished (and hence weaker, everything else being equal) and is larger in diameter because it is not attached to the well as in the 110. JD

Reply to
JD

I happen to like my tree ;-))

What I meant was that although they look the same you cant assume they are, I take the point about their application to LR vehicles. What would worry me would be that the Disco and 110 are similar in weight and size (roughly); I suspect 110's are expected to lead a harder life yet the Disco has the apparent tougher wheel. If I were a manager at LR I would be questioning cost for that one.

Now where's that Pine

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

I expect the Disco wheel was designed for it's visual appeal by the tea-boy in the art department at Solihull and put into production without any thought being given to it's strength other than 'it looks strong enough'.

Reply to
EMB

My God, not another one, mind you I suppose two in hand is worth..... :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

H'mm ok thanks for the input so far chaps, but how do I actually find what the wheels are rated to carry?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

As a minimum for an axle pair, the maximum permissable rear axle load for a Disco 1.

I don't have that, but the RRC (which used the same rim as a spare) was good for 1510 kg on the rear axle. You can probably stretch that to at least 1620 kg which was the permitted rear axle load on the LWB RRC.

Reply to
Dougal

You could ask Land Rover for the maximum design load but I don't imagine that they'll be prepared to answer the question. You might have more luck with the rim maker (Dunlop made mine).

I see that the 110 had a rear axle load limit of 1850kg in the early days which does leave open the possibility of a technical overload. But, as I mentioned earlier, are you going to be running at this maximum rear axle load? - I doubt it.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:27:33 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

moreover the disco is about the same weight as the 110.

Mind you, I've an idea the offset is different on the disco and 110, so they may not fit. The disco rims are certainly wider than standard 110; I think standard 110 are 5.5" and disco 7".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes - but the gross vehicle mass is not, and the extra weight on the 110 is all on the rear axle, so the maximum wheel loading is higher.

Apparently they do - a number of people use them.

I believe you are right - the extra width is why people use them.

JD

Reply to
JD