disco steering alignment

my wheel is alittle to the right when going straight after a fancy wheel alignment. Also the total toe on the readout says -0.15. Does this mean it has to be redone. It seem like it may be to much but I dont know. I complained but the guy said the machine sais it right on ?? Thanks

Reply to
Peter

On or around Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:58:23 GMT, "Peter" enlightened us thusly:

I tend to get discos and classics and 90/110s set parallel. what units are the -0.15, and does that mean toe-in? if so, and if the units are mm then it's not far off :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

maybe degree units. The rear was out of range but they arnt adjustable.

Peter

Peter,

On my Discovery TD5 (2000) there are 2 adjustments. One for the alignment and the second for the steering wheel position. Found this out from my local tyre place after land Rover muck up the alignment of my steering wheel after doing a wheel alignment and then insisting it was correct.

regards

Terry

Reply to
me2

The position of the steering wheel and the tracking(alignment, toe in/out) are not directly related. Changing the tracking can reposition the steering wheel when travelling straight. The position of the straight ahead steering wheel position is in no way any indication that the tracking is wrong.

LR usually (meaning that I haven't specifically checked this model) quote toe out of 0 to 2 mm which equates to an included angular measurement of around 0 to 0.33 degrees(i.e. 20 minutes).

Sort the wayward steering wheel by adjusting the drag link which goes from under the steering box across the front of the vehicle. Adjusting the drag link does not upset your, no doubt expensively set, tracking.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:03:36 GMT, "Peter" enlightened us thusly:

strikes me that someone is being too clever... OK, the axle could be out of line, I suppose. But I've certainly never bothered checking one.

degrees... could be, I suppose. Not normally expressed in decimals, though.

You'll find the "book" value for the disco is something like tracking between 2mm in and 2mm out, or equally vague. LR don't do precision.

Reply to
Austin Shackles