Disco steering fault?

My 300 tdi has a rather scary steering fault. When turning hard right you can "feel" the steering trying to lock up? Sometimes it takes a fair amount of pressure to bring it back left again. There seems to be a certain position where it wants to stick.

Any ideas?

Regards, Pete

Reply to
Mad_Sunday

Mm. Got any oil in the steering box? Maybe a cv joint otherwise. Or diff lock is on? This happened to me in my old 109, I slackened the steering box adjustment a little and worked the steering with the front jacked up which seemed to cure it. It hadn't been used for a while prior to the problem though. Later I was able to retighten the steering adjuster and I had no further problems.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

In message , Mad_Sunday writes

Try spraying the steering column UJ's with WD40 then white grease, could be one seizing up. Or could be on/both of the CVJ's going. Have you checked the oil/grease in the swivel housing?

Reply to
Marc Draper

I've had a similar thing where my RR wanted to "stick" in the going round a corner position. One of the steering UJ joints was cream- crackered. I think they're only about a tenner each or so.

Easiest way to find out whats causing it is to seperate the steering column from the box via one of the UJs and then working the system a bit at a time to work out which bit is stiff ie. either the steering wheel end or in the box / swivels. You can further the search by spliting the ball joint under the steering box to isolate the box and the swivels / joints from each other.

Shouldnt take too long to isolate the problem but it might take a bit longer to fix it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R