disco - stupid questions

disco - stupid questions. or at least questions I feel I should know the answer to. I'm giving serious thought to buying a disco, budget £5k, must have 5 doors, 7 seats would be nice, Tdi engine.

Body panels, are they aluminium? steel?

I've seen many posts ref knackered boot floors in discos's so I assume these parts are steel, simple weld-in-a-new-bit job?

I'm looking at 200tdi or early 300tdi, any issues with the early

300tdi's?

I'd like an auto, easier on the legs and smoother power delivery off-road, any issues with older auto-boxes?

As mentioned in another thread, no replacement chassis are available for disco's, are the chassis as tough as I'm used to with series vehicles and early 90/110's?

90% of my milage is on paved roads, when I'm off-road it's anything from forest tracks to boggy back-of-beyond. I'll need to locate a 20" cube-shaped strong-box somewhere, probably boot area, and have room for a couple of dogs (rotti and lurcher). I do 99% of all the maintenance and servicing myself at the roadside, getting by ok on my 110 that way.

Any Disco-specific issues in that lot that I should be aware of? Anyone got anything else to say about 'em?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

They'll not fit, unless you take the legs off.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

MVP composed the following;:

Aluminium.

Yep and yep .. though simple might be a slight misnomer, they are available as replacement parts though .. ;)

Cam belt needs to be modified, so check it has been done. Also check it's had regular oil oil/fuel/air filter changes (basic services) as these things really make a big difference to general running and 'feel' of the engine.

Nope, not really. Manuals have a minor problem with a shaft, but it can also be easily cured, so I'm told, but I still haven't bought the 'splash kit' thing from somewhere, but I forgot where ... ;)

Yup. Easily as good, some would say better due to improved paint techniques etc.

Very good choice of Landrover for your needs. It's way better than any Series / Defender on-road, but also almost as good off-road. IMHO it's actually better off-road unless you're off-road 100% or into seriously deep and dangerous stuff. The ride is so much more comfortable, especially for any passengers. You can actually hear the radio too .. ;)

Love mine .. a '97 3 door. Just fitted new BFG 31 x 10.5 AT's on, which seem to look a little bigger than the previous 31's I had, but they were

105R15's ... three of which are on ebay, item 7961994526 The roof is steel, so a CB aerial can be fitted, but I just drilled a hole in the roof gutter and put a bolt-on mount there instead of mag-mounted base. Actually we mostly use PMR 44 whatever the number is radios, for off-roading now though.

If you fit bigger tyres then the rear arches can be either cut to fit them, or, the option I took, space the mounting brackets out so that the tyres miss the wings. On close inspection they look a little 'flared', but few people notice this as much as a cut arch.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I've just been looking at some, it seems some have twin sunroofs and some have those roof bars.

Do the sunroofs leak like leaky things?

Do those roof bars get in the way of a roof rack or are they easily removed for fitting of same? (I'll be putting some kind of full-length rack on it).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

the manual rear sunroof in my older Disco ('90) leaked around the seal until I libed the seal with somthing greasy. The 'leccy ones on my newer ('95) 300Tdi are fine.

Both mine have bars and I've never looked at how to get them off. I suspect you remove the headling :-(

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On my 1995 300Tdi the Bonnet, door skins, wings rear quarters are ally. But the roof and (I think) back door are steel. On my 1990 V8i, the roof and back door are ally as well.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:10:58 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

that "minor problem" can leave you wanting a recon gearbox or equally expensive repairs. Depends how bad it is.

doesn't apply to the autos, it seems.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , MVP writes

The chassis do not have the mud traps that the Defender does.

I have seen plenty of K - M reg Defenders with bad chassis rot. Have yet to find a Disco where the chassis is rotten.

BUT !!!!! The bodies rot like hell. By now almost all 200tdis will have problems in that area. Rear floor, inner wheel arches front and back, inner and outer sills, foot wells. All rot so have a good poke around. The rot will be worse in vehicles with sunroofs !!! It's a Land Rover thing !

The only other thing to rot is the rear axle case.

Happy shopping

Reply to
Marc Draper

Austin Shackles composed the following;:

Yeah. It doesn't appear to be a problem with mine, but I keep forgetting to add it to my tuit list ...

Nope, totally different gearbox. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Don't forget battery tray, rear light clusters, alpine lights...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs