Disco Tacho

Hi All,

Can anyone let me know where the tacho input comes from. I have a strange symptom lately where the tacho is dropping to zero revs (on a '96 V8 5spd). At almost any time, it jumps around whilst idling, drops when changing gear etc... This problem seems to get better (ie it happens less) as it gets up to op temp? Can anyone advise the likely cause of this and vaguely "what am I up for this time"? Whacked this on Dweb too.

Thanks in Adv

Roly

Reply to
Roly

Check the connection on the Alternator

Steve

Reply to
RADIOTWO

The little white wire that connects to the back of the alternator.. In mine, the wire had work hardened and broken within the black shroud so was fairly elusive as it appeared form the outside to be fine.Remedy, remove the black shroud, solder the wire to the connector, replace the shroud and plug back in. Cheers, Chookie '98 300 Tdi Disco SE Perth Western Australia

Reply to
R & K Fowler

On or around Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:55:09 +0800, "R & K Fowler" enlightened us thusly:

it'll break again... soldering conenctions on such things can result in the wire breaking subsequently.

some time ago I invested in a proper sod-off crimping tool for those cheap colour-coded red, blue and yellow crimps you get in boxes with a totally crap crimping tool; with this tool they get mashed on properly and work much better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks everyone for the responses. As it is intermittant so I think (and hope) you are right. In anycase, u would not believe it. Got home from work...grabbed the multi meter (trustie one I got given about 14 years ago with broken wires and battery held in with gaffa tape...and whammo the meter has s!%t itself...showing 20volts (and 19v on another spare batt I have) will have to get another 2morrow and see what its charging at. Will also make a point of inspecting the wires out the back of Alt (beneath the shroud too.)

Roly

ps. Austin, ur not on ur own, I'm a crimper too! but *I believe* helps to 'tin' the wires before crimping

Reply to
Roly