Disco Tailgate speakers

Hi,

I have a 1996 Disco I which has the additional tailgate speakers (located on the bottom of the boot door).

I have since upgraded the radio/tape and replaced it with a Philips CD changer controller headunit and the changer itself (from a l999 Disco). Since doing this I have noticed the sound quality is not as good - on investigation I noticed that the tailgate speakers are no longer working (but the other four do). Is this just a simple rewiring job or is this particular headunit not capable of the additional speakers?

Would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light!!

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

In message , Richard Wilkinson writes

The rear door speakers are the subwoofer and need to be driven by an appropriate signal.

You could do it via a third party amp or get a signal to the built in amp.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I can thouroughly recommend getting another amp to power the speaker in the rear door, even if you are not prepared to put a separate sub speaker in it to take advantage of it. There should be an amp to power the rear door speaker but it is difficult (in my RR) at least to get it to work with an aftermarket system.

Your new head unit will almost certainly have a subcontroller and a "pre out" pair of plugs at the back wich will allow you to put in another amp for not much money. I put an extra 2 x 150W speakers in the front doors wired in parallel to the original two and then put two 200W in the parcel shelp with a 650W amp to power a 12" sub, all in '94 RRC. Sound quality is fantastic and the only disadvantage is that the "bass box" takes up a bit of room in the boot, but that could easily be overcome if I could be bothered to built another box to relocate it to where the other bass box was

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Reply to
Anthony

Hi,

Thanks for the info Marc.

Whereabouts is the built in amp, and how do I connect my new radio to it?

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson