Disco TD5 Gear Box Problem - a Solution

Some time ago I posted a question regarding what I thought might be a fairly serious synchro-mesh problem with my (then)new disco TD5 .

As an long haul ng user / contributor (but not to this ng), I was hoping for some help but what I actually got was bandwidth-consuming drivel ("give it a few more miles", "have you ever actually driven an LR before" etc, etc).

Useless. Absolutely bloody useless, but I suppose that's usenet for you...

For the benefit of any other folks who might have been given the run-around by LR, it turns out that this *is* an LR problem (and one that they knew about all along, hence the use of a LR approved gearbox oil 'additive' which needless to say didn't work). They have now, after a year's worth of agitation on both my and the dealer's part, agreed to replace the box.

One point I am left wondering about:-

Did the LR 'expert' who was originally wheeled in last year to 'examine' the vehicle fail to identify the problem, or did he know *exactly* what it was and just decided to lie? And which would be worse?

PS - In the event that the lame contributors I referred to above (I'm sure you know who you are) feel inclined to add more noise to this post, forget it. I don't subscribe to this ng and I won't see your (irrelevant) contributions. And to anyone else being stone-walled by LR - good luck and stay with it.

Reply to
Ian Mackay

Maybe I am just adding "noise" and "bandwidth-consuming drivel " but I just wanted to say that (as only an irregular contributor) I have always found this group to be very helpful, with a lot of folks genuinely wanting to help and often giving good suggestions.

If you are not reading this group why bother to post?

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Ooooh! Handbag raised in defence.

jermec, very infrequent poster, but at least I'm not a troll.

Reply to
jermec

a..................snipped crap.

You're a funny guy................

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Just in case you are still watching, ime having the same problem

54 plate with 6500 miles and the gearbox is hopeless. Sometimes impossible to select 3rd and 1st.

MD has changed the oil, but is talking about a new box.

Cound you email me snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Would like to swap notes on this.

Nigel

(irrelevant)

Reply to
Nigel Roberson

My crystal ball suggests that you have only ever posted once under this name to AFL. You are however a teacher working in the Midlands who is an Elvis fan and a bit of a sourpuss.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

lmfao thats what i thaught :)

Reply to
bellautos

There, isn't that a nice way to ask ? Try it Ian.

Nigel, What is the TD5 box. Is it related to the Disco's R380 ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It is the R380. I don't know if it was modified between Disco 300 and TD5 implementations.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It was - the extension case has an extension case.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd