Disco transfer Box

Hi The Transfer box on my 95 Disco TDi auto is on the way out, very whiney, noisey and clunky. I would appreciate some advice on whether all 1.22 ratio boxes will mate up with my auto or whether I need to be very careful about type, year and derivation eg manual, before I make a second hand purchase. Have searched the group but cant find an answer on this. Mike

Reply to
mike.devine1

I changed my Borg-Warner with viscous coupling for an older one with manual diff lock and the only difference was I had to redrill one of the handbrake backplate fixing holes to fit the later handbrake.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Are you sure its not the output shaft/input gear wear.........anyway

Manual or Auto transfer bos should fit ok (they are the same)

If you get a later one (or an early one with a cross drilled input gear) it wont fit on your autobox as splines on auto output shaft are too short, however, Ashcrofts(and probably other places too) do a new output shaft with longer splines (circa £45 + all the usual) its a simple affair to change, 1 bolt in centre of shaft.

Johnty

Reply to
johnty

Thanks for assistance. Mike