Disco2 auto - flashy lights

So there I am, 200 miles from home, already annoyed at having to change a tyre after finding a surprisingly blunt lump of metal had penetrated the front nearside tyre. Back in, on with the ignition and...

The Manual and Sport lights blink away at me in a particularly mocking fashion. Handbook says it is an electrical fault in the auto box. Undaunted, I shift all the levers, turn it all on an off a couple of times, start and stop the engine a few times. Finally the ECU gets the message - I will not be put off by a few blinky lights - gives in and lets me drive off with no warning lights.

Any idea how bad this is going to turn out to be? Is it simply a loose wire or connector? If something were fundamentally buggered, I would hope that the lights would still be lit and I would have come home on a tow truck.

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Snap! Mine was one of the switches external to the gearbox.

Some times you can travel for miles without a problem, next you'll have to reset in the manner you described three times in a mile (if you bother).

I don't think that you'll ever be totally immobile and I concluded (once I'd found out what was the cause) that it was a non-damaging incident.

Other symptoms will be that once the lights start to flash you are left in one of the limp home modes with a high gear selected and in torque convertor drive. Progress off the line can be painfully slow.

There appears to be some history behind this and water ingress to the switch has occurred. Other models have been affected. Obviously, water ingress to the connector/wiring may have similar effects.

Reply to
Dougal

Which switch? And where can I find it?

Yup - that sounds familiar.

So I suppose fording won't have helped :)

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Mine has been like that for 5 years, I just dont bother about it, that is what was said to me by our local LR dealers techie. It was out of warranty and he said ignore it, its just when the switch gets wet/damp

Reply to
tomtom

Mine (2002 MY) was the gear position/park inhibit switch UHB100190 - mounted at the gearbox end of the gearbox control cable. Someone else had the responsibility for sorting mine so I didn't get my hands dirty but it looks as though setting up a replacement switch requires a 'tool'. It would probably be worth checking the plug/socket for the switch before delving further.

How TomTom can live with this permanently I don't know. Utterly exasperating especially when towing. Requires low box to pull away on occasion. Mine eventually didn't even have to get wet to be a problem.

Reply to
Dougal