Discover I ABS - Info

Hi All, a bit of a research project here. I could do with confirming the findings made by a customer (a real Engineer, oily hands and all that) regarding Discovery I front ABS.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, some Discovery I's and Range Rover Classic's suffer from a problem with the fron ABS light always or intermittently coming on. The aformentioned customer found that, after fittng all new parts, after about 18 months the copper sensor bush had "lifted", putting the sensor out of kilter. Pushing it back in cured the ABS light for a coupe of months, but then it did it again. We could find no obvious reason for the bush lifting, and assumed it was down to rotational forces or similar - but we weren't convinced.

Anyhow, he has now had the whole swivel stipped down and it was found that the bearing in the end of the stub axle was not at it's best. Pushing things around it was found that this bearing having play in it allowed the CV joint (and hence the ABS ring) to oscillate - not a lot, but enough for it the nudge the sensor up at the top, and quite likely down far enough for the sensor to miss-read. This, it seems, could result when going over a bump, setting the CV joint "oscillating" enough to trigger sufficient faults for the ABS light to be put on.

The question is - is this right? So, if anyone here is working on a vehicle with iffy ABS sensors and you have the swivel stripped down - can you have a look at the bearing and see if it has play in it?

Should we be right on this, it could save a lot of people a lot of grief (and dosh).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I thought that was a well-known and widely understood cause of random indications?? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yes I agree

Reply to
Marc Draper

So if you are confirming that that is the case then that's good. I'm trying to extract fact from folklore before putting stuff on the site - and let's face it, most of the LR "facts" come from the Saloon Bar Experts and fall into the category of folklore.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'm all for anything that saves money! Good work Richard, I've only just seen my first ABS Sensor ring ever last week... was a little surprise in a wossat kind of way. I din't know and it's likely to affect me so glad you raised it.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Could not agree more.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Richard, forgot to mention also, a lot of people don't seem to bother correctly shimming the driveshaft end where it pokes through the drive flange, this extra play if removed can help to reduce the rate of wear (by controlling movement of the c.v. joint whilst cornering loadings are applied to it) of the axle bush you mention. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Cheers, I'll add that to the list of "things that should be done because, belive me, if LR could get away with not doing it they would's".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:25:20 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

'ello, not seen you for a while.

how's the monster trailer doing?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fine matey, not really used it much recently, been too busy in the workshop! Still planning on respraying it though, sometime..... Badger.

Reply to
Badger