Discovery 1 steering tracking angle

I've just replaced the offside drag link track rod end on my '96 Discovery, I set the front wheels up to be parallel with the steering wheel straight but now the steerig feels "different" and the car pulls slightly to the left. Does anyone know whether there should be a toe in or out, or how best to set it up please?

Does this vehicle have self-centering steering because I've had cars before now which went in a straight line but with the steerining wheel at an angle?

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony

Have you replaced the drag link end or the track rod end? If you have just replaced the drag link end you may need to reposition the steering wheel or re-adjust the end you have replaced. It would not affect the steering when travelling in a straight line but you may just 'feel' the steering is different due to the out of position steering wheel.

If you have replaced the track rod end then you will have to check the tracking but you say you have set the tracking to parallel; how have you done this when you are also asking 'how best to set it up'? I think you should refer to a manual, or better still, get it professionally set up as (no offence) you are obviously not sure about what you are doing.

As it appears to be pulling to the left, check the tyre pressures, tyre match and all the axle locating bushes, also the swivel pin bearings. It might also have been doing this before but now you are looking for faults as you have changed the drag link/track rod end.

To a point, yes, the kingpin inclination etc.sees to that.

I've had cars

Most likely it's just the steering wheel that needs repositioning

Reply to
Oily

You havent also fitted a gas presurised steering damper too? That will totally F*&k up the steering. Quite why they even advertise gas presurised steering dampers is beyond me. It wansn't me who got caught, but a friend who's always bolting bits onto his 90.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Approx 3-4mm toe out.

Reply to
CraigB

I think you'll find it is recommende to be 1 to 1 1/2 mm toe out but parallel is ok. Periodically check the tyres for uneven tread wear or feathering the tread edges.

Reply to
Oily

1995-96 Discovery Workshop Manual says 0 to 2mm toe out

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Bob on. Centralize the steering box with a pin from underneath, Drop the drag link off, free the ends up then set it to 924mm between the e nds.........Refit drag link................................................ .............................. Now drop the track rod bar first disconnecting the steering damper, free the ends up and set the length to 1230mm......Re fit and you should be near as damn it right..............check the tracking inside of wheel at t he rear edge and then at the front edge ..............parallel or a 1mm out at the front edge always works for me.

Reply to
tcwwith3dogs