Discovery

I'm looking to buy a used Discovery about 1999-2000 model. Does anyone know if there are any known problems or things I should look out for with this particular model?

Regards B

Reply to
Brad

Oil in wiring loom on engine.

ABS TC lights on.

Reply to
Nige

Hi Brad !

I have had Disco II TD5 from 1999 for 6 month now and done around 20.000km without any problems at all. So I can't tell you about any problems with this model :-))

Kind Regards

Reply to
René Løweneck

Air suspension working OK.

Reply to
Rich B

Leaky sump pan.

Front diff whine.

Interior trim rattles.

Duff tailgate lock.

Duff door handles.

Reply to
Nige

4.0V8, check condition of plug leads. Known to suffer coil pack breakdown, easy to diagnose with any reader that gives misfire fault codes. High-milers now showing wheel bearing wear, this can also be the cause of ABS/HDC warnings. ABS sensors seem to be a touch weak but never had to replace one yet. Exhausts (original) starting to corrode badly at that age. Early models suffered rusting of chassis, but only appears to be surface - especially along welds. Autobox ought to be good for 150,000 miles plus, engine (V8) good for the same if oil changed on time with decent quality, high milers also showing wear in front propshaft rear joint (double spicer, expensive). Rear door - poxy little spring can fail necessitating a complete door lock strip to replace! Mine's a 2000 with 50-odd thou on the clock, no rattles as yet, still feels nice and tight on the road. TD5? Pass, don't do disiesels! Badger.
Reply to
Badger

All the previous suggestions plus leaky sunroofs. Must be mad as I still enjoy my 2000 TD5 that done over 120K miles.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
me2

Sunroofs are OK on mine (2001 TD5) gear box has been replaced along with the air springs and compressor, rocker cover gasket (twice), fuel filter sprang a leak, anti roll bushes and clutch at 30,000 miles.

Consumables 2 x sets of tyres (30,000 and 72,000 miles), front discs & pads (30,000 and 72,000), rear discs & pads @ 60,000 (twice, first set didn't bed in after >1,000 miles), regas air con (needs doing again but has a leak to be fixed first), off side rear hub leaking.

I'm sure I've missed somethings... I bought it at 3 years old with 29,000 on the clock. I have a feeling it had a hard weekend life after taking the kids to/from school during the week.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 04:23:27 -0500, Brad wrote (in article ):

Make sure it has a locking center diff. I know some model years didn't but I didn't know which ones.

I have a 114K on my 96. Check the radiator. They have a tendancy to clog. And has the gas tank recall been done?

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

Disco Duck uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Gas tank recal affected our last Disco on a '97 that would be the last of the 300 shape Disco 1 for a better descprition.

Did the gas tank also affect the Disco II then as well?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:34:07 -0500, Lee_D wrote (in article ):

I am not sure. Thats is why I brought it up. My dealer didn't do a good job and I had to have it yanked out again. If it does have to be done I would replaced the fuel pump while it is out. .

Oh Yeah, If you have the old black water over flow tank replace that.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

Hi Lee

Check the hubs for oil leaks. I am told it is common on disco II's for the seals to go bnut not the hubs themselves, this pour oil on the brakes which ain't great. The hubs are a sealed unit - non servicable (bless em all at Landrover!) and come in at about £250 per side + fitting. I got stung for that about 8 weeks after getting my disco II. Manual gearboxes synchro's on

2nd and 3rd go first, so if it graunches, the box may need attention. Ah yes the other one, the fuel injection manifold cracks (apparently a common problem) a new one was about £175 fitted IIRC. The only other thing is airflow meter problems which are well documented all obver the place and easy to fix.

Cheers

Reply to
Justin Bell