Discovery 2.5TDI

Hi all,

Got my Disco back today after sorting the overheating and problems. The garage reckon my kingpins need sorting on the steering - what are they and can I sort it myself?

Andrew

Discovery 2.5TDI 1993 (The moneypit) Defender 110CSW 2.5TDI (Rust and sweat)

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

I think, if you need to ask what they are, then the answer to the DIY question is 'Probably Not.' Its not a big job, but quite involved. Your problem will be the king pin bearings. There are 2 on each side, the allow the steering to swivel at the end of the axle. They are joined to the big shiny balls behind your front wheels. The bearings are very cheap, but there is quite a lot of labour to get at them. OK for a competant DIY mechanic, but not for a 1st timer, and you need access to new shims and a spring balance. I'll do them for you. Where are you?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Hartlepool UK - where are you?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Far too far away dahn sarf. Oh well.

The haynes book of lies describes the job quite well.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

They are more usually referred to as swivel pins in LR circles - they are the pivots in the top and bottom of the "chrome balls" that allow the hub assembly to turn. Replacement is basically very simple, if a little time consuming as you need to strip the hub off to do the job "properly". The Haynes book gives all the necessary info. Most likely you only need new swivel pin bearings (606666 - max 4) and a few seals and gaskets, and some EP90 or swivel grease. It is unusual for the swivel pins themselves to wear, although the have been knwn to snap. If that happens you tend to notice!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd