Discovery 2 Rear Air Suspension Failure

Popped in to see a mate of mine to find him under his disco 2, which has dropped to its bump-stops.

On doing some simple trouble shooting it seems that the compressor is running properly, but the single solenoid valve at the fron of the compressor is delivering the air direct to the "exhaust" rather than forward to the two other solenoid valves which feed the rear air springs.

Have tried un-plugging the valve, but this seems to prevent the compressor running.

Compressor is nearly new (supplied by that nice chap at Beamends!).

Anyone had this before or recognise the symptoms?

I would guess either the solenoid valve is faulty, or the electrickery which sends a signal to the solenoid has thrown a fit.

Thoughts anyone?

David

Reply to
rads

Had a problem like that with my limo, turned out to be some plastic joint which I was not able to replace as the system had long since ceased to be manufactured, but araldite fixed it. Check for leaks.

Reply to
Larry

Resolution

Looks like either the exhaust solenoid or the pressure relief switch (both part of the compressor assembly) had got gunked up.

Stripped, cleaned and re-assembled and the things right as rain.

David

Reply to
rads

Had the air bags in my Disco deflate on day 9 of receiving it from the dealer. Depressing (pardon the pun)!

Was told by the dealer the solenoid had physically failed (can't recall anything more specific--I don't think they gave many details).

Since then I've had no probs--with the suspension, that is. Problems with bonnet opening while in motion (see current thread), turbo hose disconnecting at highway speed, water leaks, electric seats cutting their own wiring and short-circuiting, ABS/TC/HDC lights coming on for no apparent reason.

Reply to
drystone