Discovery 2a Gearbox - What warranty ??

My 54 plate Discovery 2a TD5 (6500 miles) has a really lousy gearbox.

2nd to 3rd is without schyncromesh 50% of the time and the gear is engaged with a nasty clunk that allows you to feel the teeth engaging as it kicks back through the gear lever.

4th to 3rd is sometimes impossible and reverse to 1st is just as bad.

So far all LR, through the dealer has had to offer is changing the oil, which if anything made it worse.

So, ive asked the Main Dealer what next, as ive had to endure 2k of this, only to be told LR will not replace the gearbox, although it is not an uncommon problem.

I am aware of my statutory rights, as ive taken some advice and did notify the MD within 3 days etc of my dissatisfaction after I took delivery, which was 6 weeks ago.

So, my question is, how widespread is this problem with new R380 gearboxes, and is there a history of LR replacing them or not ?

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Roberson

Personally, I'd make a lot of noise when they are busy and see if customers walking out the door wakes them up a bit. Failing that, it'd be a "replace the box or we go to trading std's and possibly court" situation. I bet you they'll back down, it's a common enough complaint. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:03:15 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

That's a good plan. in fact, IIRC, you have the right to reject the vehicle and have a refund if they won't fix it to your satisfaction - and a gearbox that behaves that badly is not satisfactory in a vehicle at that price - so if they won't replace it, I suggest you go in and loudly demand that they give you your money back as they're incapable of fixing the problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

IME the way to do this is to write very formal, almost legalistic letters to the MD of the dealership. Copy the letter to Land Rover customer services and the local trading standards.

The main points to convey are...

the facts (not how you feel about them) that you have taken advice and will pursue the matter to your satisfaction what you require...

That last point is the main thing. Ending with "and I'm totally hacked off with it all" doesn't help because you don't ask them for anything specific.

My last letter (to VW for my sister) ended along the lines of..

"I would suggest that this matter could be brought to a speedy and satisfactory conclusion if you arrange for a refund of the monies paid and assure me that further warranty claims will be properly handled."

This means at the end of a moan the MD can pick up the phone and say "get Mr X a new gearbox so he'll stop bothering me". That's much easier for him than writing back to you...

You can also show the small claims court in later actions that you have been utterly reasonable throughout.

Screaming and shouting in the dealership might seem more satisfying but the boss probably won't be there and if you eventually get the work done the guys doing it will hate you (and take no care at all).

Good luck...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Or, the OP could just reject the vehicle as not fit for purpose.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

In message , Nigel Roberson writes

Of coarse they will replace the gearbox. You are just not talking to the right person in the right manner.

Try another dealer.

Be firm and polite

It will get done.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks for all the comments.

So far.

The dealer is aware that the responsibility is his to provide me with a new gearbox, but he is trying to get LR to cough up a new box and pay for the installation. The MD owner is now talking to LR and hopefully he has some clout.

How long should all this take ? The law says it has to be completed in a "reasonable time"

If this is a MD issue whats the likely cost to him to sort it out, what can he buy a 380 box for and how much would he charge himself to fit it, taking in to account a bay in the workshop cant earn him any money while his is doing this job.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Roberson

It gets worse, ??

I did speak to Land Rover, nice girl, who said the dealer will need it back to get some results from the test book that can then be assessed by LR technical dept.

What tests can be performed on a R380 box with the testbook ??

Nigel (beginning to feel nervous)

Reply to
Nigel Roberson

so Nigel Roberson was, like...

Nothing that I know of, but they probably want the opportunity to eliminate all other possible problems first.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Wot not even the reversing light switch functionality? Thats about the only thing I can think of...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Big warning lamp on back of car sorts that one !!!!!

Although the "brain" does need to know when reverse is selected in order to switch the rear wiper on if the front one is on too !!!!

Reply to
Marc Draper

I think the "brain" also tells the solid state relay in the passenger compartment fuse box that controls the big warning lights at the rear. Not much in a Disco II directly switches the kit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice