Discovery 3 tow ball stowage fitting instructions

Always a sucker for a bargain on eBay I have picked up the detachable towball stowage fitting for the Disco 3. This is supposed to go behind the left hand panel in the luggage area and is an 'easy fit'. The bracket on the fitting has two large holes and there are two equally large bolts that come with it. Well I am blowed if I can see how to fit the thing. The fitting does go through the hole in the luggage area but there is no obvious place for it to sit and no sign of any threaded holes into which the bolts should go. Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions they could scan for me please?

Thanks

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but isn't the best place for a towball on the rear of the vehicle. This is to ensure maximum damage to the vehicle that runs up your rear!

I've got a pin and ball thing on my Disco and I'm quite looking forward to dollydaydream, while talking on her mobile, puncturing the from bumper of her Corsa on it :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Land Rover put the manuals and accessory fitting instructions for current models on a web site somewhere - needless to say it's not easy to find and I've lost the link. Anyone got it?

Must also confess to a lack of understanding of the attraction for detachable towballs.

Reply to
Dougal

They have the huge advantage of not compromising the vehicle departure angle and the electric socket is high up and away from the inevitable damage caused by traditional placing on the drop plate. A must for the serious user.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'm guessing you have never walked into one when SWBO has dragged you kicking and screaming to the supermarket then? Trust me its a lot like a direct hit to the family jewels by a cricket ball sort up makes you feel a little sick then throbs a lot.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Much better off-road when you haven't got a plough behind you ... especially if you need to reverse out of a section .. to say nothing of reducing the departure angle somewhat.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I've not been to a supermarket in 20 years - that's women's work! Besides, Discos aren't for SM car parks, that's what hatchbacks are for :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Just sent them to you by email!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Or when trying to get onto a low loader with deflated suspension... Might not be quite so bad on a DIII as all four corners will be low rather than just the back of a DII. A DII with flat suspension is somewhere between

10 and 15 degrees down at the back.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You haven't seen the way the tarmac is dimpling in the Tesco carpark at Brigg. You don't need 4wd drive, yet.

And the speedbumps in some Lincoln carparks are notorious: low-range bottom gear stuff.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I was at the PC world in Warrington t'other evening, they've turned the car park into a maze. (to stop kids whizzing around in Corsas I presume) I headed towards the exit end of the CP and was presented with a curb and a grass embankment preventing me from going any further. I thought the use of low range appropriate!

Reply to
Julian

Many thanks to Andy for sending me the instructions, really helpful. Thanks to all the other folk who replied as well.

I currently have one of the rigid 'ploughs' on the back and the main reason for wishing to change it is the bruises on my shins! I have picked up a swan neck type towball from eBay but wanted to store it inside the vehicle. The towball is locked into place using a very flimsy plastic lever which could easily be broken in order to remove the bar. Given the cost of the things I would prefer not to take the risk. There are any number of the removable type bars advertised on eBay - I can't but wonder where they all come from. I hope that the one that I picked up was legitimate.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Found - if anyone wants to record it for future reference:

Seems to require Internet Explorer.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi,

My 2006 RR (and my previous one) have a key to unlock the swan neck...... that's the official LR one for the RR (not sure about the D3 tho...)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee