discovery - 7.50 x16

Greetings kind & gentle folk of afl

Just acquired a set of Michelin XZL 7.50x16 on steel wheels and nuts too.

Anyone here ever shod a disco with boots like these?

Test drive showed up two areas needing attention ...

#1 Does the bodywork need a wee nip'n'tuck or does our disco have knackered springs? Clue:: it does, but I'm wondering if new springs will stop the rear wheels 'grounding' on the rear of the wheel arch.

#2 Is there a chapter & verse description of how to adjust the lock-stops or whatever they're called?

Reply to
William Tasso

William Hi,

Camel Trophy Discos used to be fitted with 7.00 X 16 XZL or XCL tyres.

In order to properly fit those the following modifications were carried out from Special Vehicles Operations in Land Rover.

The rear lower side of the rear fenders wheelarch was trimmed off left and right. The front lower part of the spoiler and front bumper end caps was completely removed from the spoiler's mounting point to the bumper downwards (of course the spoiler was also removed)

AFAIK the lock stops for the steering wheels was not tampered with but this is a very small details and it may have slipped from our attention when we compiled the differences or modifications carried out to those vehicles when compared to the "civilian" versions.

When the rear suspension is fully compressed, especially when crossaxled the

7.00 X 16 tyres rub on the metallic mudguard on the inside area of the rear fender. This is NOT the bracket were the elastic mud flaps are bolted to but the actual mudguard protecting the rear side of the interior of the rear flare from mud, stones etc.

Fitting 7.50 X 16 tyres requires lifting the suspension (a suspension lift kit) or the bodyshell (a bodyshell lift kit) in order to create the necessary space for the larger diameter tyres.

Things are easier at the front but fitting 7.50 X 16 tyres will significantly reduce the available space between the tyres external diameter and foremost edge of the plastic sills running alongside the length of the vehicle under its side doors (the plastic/glassfibre items a lot of people replace with rock or rock&tree sliders)

Hope this helps

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Would there be any drawings/pics/detail documented anyplace?

already dumped the plastic :)

it's just one side and as you say ... it's trivial (so I've read) just =

can't remember the detail. where's my hbol?

ok - found this 'mudguard' - mods needed? or is this something we just = =

have to live with?

Suspension I can find .... TF204 - Terrafirma Suspension Kit, last-but-o= ne =

on this page:

Comments?

Haven't found 'bodyshell lift kit' - clues?

aside from the lock stop issue there doesn't appear to be any probs at t= he =

front.

It does, thanks. But as you can see, also raises more Qs.

Reply to
William Tasso

William Hi again,

  1. Regarding the "Camel Trophy Cut" on the rear fenders/wheelarches may I suggest you have a look at the pictures at
    ? Since I am based in Greece I think it will be a bit difficult to arrange to meet so that you have make a template from the actual cars. But I am sure you will be able to find a fellow member of the Camel Trophy Owners club who may be close to you or maybe you can visit the Club's stand at one of the forthcoming Land Rover gatherings (Billing etc) IF you end up visiting the stand please say hello from me to everybody over there....

  1. Lock stops are on BOTH sides of the front axle, left and right, one on each side. Let's say that the lockstop looks like a big headed bold with a securing nut attached to its threaded side so that it locks it onto the axle. (a very simple description but I believe that it makes sense)

  2. AFAIK there is no "cure" in relation to the "mudguard rubbing" problem apart from either lifting the suspension or the bodyshell.

  1. May I also suggest the Scoprion Racing option? As you already know I am their representative and wholesale distributor in Greece. But their coil springs are quite simply amongst the best that I have seen (and I have seen quite a few those last 15 years....) Shock absorbers can be found at a huge variety of prices, specifications and quality. DeCarbons have proved to be cheap, of good quality and able to withstand a certain amount of abuse that most of us consider as the level of offroading fun without damages to the car or danger for humans etc.

  2. Bodylift kits for Discos, RaRos and Defenders can be found here:
    you get in touch with them please give Gerard my greetings. I havebought a steering damper relocation kit and a pair of Hi-Lift spare wheelcarrier mounts from him back in 2005 and he was EXTREMELY helpful. A verygood chap to cooperate with. or here for a more complete set including steering shaft extension etc
    and then check for the +2" bodylift kit priced at215 US$ (which is not that bad at the current exchange rate) Hope most of your answers were addressed to. Pls keep us updated on whether you were able to solve the problem of fitting the 7.50 X 16. But pls also bear in your mind that your gearing will need some attention also and a different set of CWP (crownwheel & pinion) per axle will be required in order to restore your acceleration.

Take care Pantelis

Would there be any drawings/pics/detail documented anyplace?

already dumped the plastic :)

it's just one side and as you say ... it's trivial (so I've read) just can't remember the detail. where's my hbol?

ok - found this 'mudguard' - mods needed? or is this something we just have to live with?

Suspension I can find .... TF204 - Terrafirma Suspension Kit, last-but-one on this page:

Comments?

Haven't found 'bodyshell lift kit' - clues?

aside from the lock stop issue there doesn't appear to be any probs at the front.

It does, thanks. But as you can see, also raises more Qs.

-- William Tasso

Land Rover - 110 V8 Discovery - V8

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

ok - found these:

Taking a template from a Camel sounds lke a sensible couse of action - thanks

Thanks for the heads-up on Bodylift kits for Discos - much appreciated. Dunno why my favourite s/e didn't find those.

heh - it's not a problem. I got them for the 110. This is me playing :)

seemed perky enough on the (albeit limited) test run. Doubt I'll be changing the gearing unless I do this on a dedicated 'play' vehicle.

As a daily drive this vehicle runs around on rims & rubber sourced from scrap RaRo/Disco more suited to tarmac than mud - last set cost me £10 for

5 with a good few thousand road miles left in them.

Many thanks for your replies - as always very helpful & informative.

Reply to
William Tasso

Lock Stop is a bolt that screws inot the swivel housing.

The bolt is on the opposite side to the wheel thats fouling. If you put it on full lock, you can easily see which one it is..

Or look at this pic!

Mark Solesbury

Mark thanks for the photos and everybody please excuse me for the mistake in my description.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

William thanks for your kind words and excuse me for the mistake in the description of where the locknut for the steering in located. Mark was kind enough to provide the proper instructions and a very useful link to the locknut's location.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Does this help???

Lee_D

On or around Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:30:10 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

When I had the V8 disco, I put the lesser of the HD Rangie diesel springs on the front, and HD 90 rears, with 1" spacers. This lifted it about 1" and gave a more taut feel on the road.

That's probably about what you need for extra clearance on the 7.50s...

Reply to
Austin Shackles