Discovery: A 'for sale' / 'whats it worth' post....

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can give me a little help in trying to price my Disco that has to go (its intended use, won't be happening now) - If anyone is interested in buying then please email me.

An early 1990 3 Door Land Rover Discovery 3500cc V8 (on carb's - not Injection).

First registered in January 1990. Current MOT and Taxed 'till end of september.

Red, 5 seats (originally a 7 seater, the two at the back have been removed),

120k miles, 5speed manual, bought with the intention of tidying it up and using to tow. - I won't be needing to tow and so its a lot of car that won't be getting the use, the wife's not too keen on it and so it has to go....

Its had a load of mechanical work done recently. Over £1000 spent in parts - with receipts, In the last 500 miles: Complete new exhaust from the manifolds back (not cheap if you get the 'fast fit' places to supply and fit.) New front brake disks and pads New front suspension springs and shocks/dampers New steering damper An engine service that included: New oil, new oil filter, new HT leads, new spark plugs, new air filter, new rotor arm and distributor cap. New front and rear axle oil New gearbox oil New transfer 'box oil Front Swivel hubs fitted with the 'one-shot' grease Two new track rod ends A new (recon') nearside front brake caliper 4 new tyres + balancing + wheel alignment Fuel filler cap

It does have a number of faults:

It has been a working vehicle and there are a few minor dents and scratches - The paint has faded. Drivers door has 'dropped' (play in hinge and damaged check-strap). Dent in the front bumper - valance has been cut to facilitate the fitting of bull-bars (no longer fitted) Central Locking is in-op Front light has suffered from water ingress and the reflector has tarnished.

I'm thinking that it must be useful to the enthusiast - Use it as it is (its more utilitarian than a pose wagon!), tidy it all up, or break it for spares...

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
Dave Yardy

Hi Dave,

I don't think you'll be that enthusiastic to hear 8(

You can get a reasonable nick 5 door tdi, with slightly higher mileage, for iro £2.75K, so I'd think yours is worth about £1700 or so, but I may be way out. It'd need at least another grand to see it right, possible a lot more. (eg, new gearbox, I doubt there's much life left in it at that age/mileage.)

However, occasionally I've seen ones like yours in dealers for really silly money (ie the upper side of £5K) so it's a question of finding the right buyer. I think you'd be better selling privately to somebody who just likes the look of it, rather than to an enthusiast.

But I'll give you a fiver for the plastic screw thing that adjusts the headlights!

David

Reply to
David French

Thanks both - I've seen that Green one on Auto trader and thought 'hmm - good price..'

Bit of a dilemma as to know what to do really,,, hmm

Ta, Dave

Reply to
Dave Yardy

Put it on ebay with your lowest possible price as the reserve - start opening bid at say £500 to get a few punters bidding and see waht happens - doesn't cost much.

Reply to
jon

Refuse to sell it?

Reply to
Nikki

Yeah could be- The chap I got it from tried selling it on eBay, it didnt make his reserve... I bought it off him with the intention of dragging my Mini to race meetings behind it, had the work done, but with an expanding family and DIY I can't see that (..mini racing..) happening in the foreseable future..

TTFN, Dave

Reply to
Dave Yardy

A Discovery is great for expanding families. We bought the Discovery out of necessity when baby number 4 arrived.

Reply to
Nikki

We also have a Galaxy, but being a 2L its a bit gutless :(

To be honest, I was quite surprised that I coudn't fit the rear facing child seat for our 10-week old in the back of the Disco - the belt wasnt long enought to wrap itself around the seat..

TTFN, Dave

Reply to
Dave Yardy

I know. We bought an extra long one and had that fitted. I even had the Britax rock-a-bye carseat which has two ways of fixing and it still didn't want to go in. The Volvo we had before was worse as I struggled to get it in even on the front passenger seat with the seat as far back as possible. Had to tilt the seat back a bit more than I would have liked too. It went to purchase the Range Rover!

Reply to
Nikki

M&P Primo Viaggio fits the back of our Disco (just). The seat belts are silly short.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs