Discovery Brakes on 2001 Disco TD5

I've just had to pay ukp400 to have the rear pads and disks/discs replaced on my Discovery. The car is a TD5 auto, less than 2 years old with 35,000 miles. It is still on its original tyres.

The car was in for unconnected warranty work, but the dealer found that the disks were "dangerously thin" and wouldn't last until the next scheduled service!

I've never before had a car wear out disks before tyres! has anyone else had similar experience of rapid disk wear?

Also, I think ukp400 is a bit steep!

Reply to
DoctorWho

You've been seriously ripped off! Must be one of those dealers whose labour rates are horrific?

Go for the uprated discs next time - or do you tow a lot?

Reply to
Llandrovers!

£80 for a complete set of pads and £140 for a complete set of discs. Plus a couple fo hours to remove the old/fit the new. £400 isn't too far off the mark.

Did the dealer show you the old discs? I'd want to see them as they shouldn't wear out unless you drive with your foot on the brake pedal all the time.

You do, of course, have a case if he changed the items without seeking your permission first ...

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Thanks for the replies...

I didn't see the old disks, but I've never been confidant that that strategy protects me since I've no way of knowing the old parts they show me are off my car anyway...

.. and of course when they phoned me with the bad news I had little choice but to agree to the work.

I think my real question is whether this is typical disk wear for a Disco.

Although we live in the wilds of the Peak District, most of the

35,000 miles happened to be motorway miles, and the fact that the tyres were original suggests that I hadn't been abusing the car or the brakes.

In other cars I've not needed new disks before 50-60,000 miles, by which time I've got through 2 or 3 tyre changes and as many pad changes.

(btw I'm generally very dissatisfied with this car. It has been plagued with electronics problems since new and is still not reliable. Land Rover "Customer Care" aren't at all helpful and I feel thoroughly ripped off. Watch out for a thread on the subject when I get around to it!)

You are right about the way the pricing adds up. The problem is dealer rates of £70 or £80/hr.

Bit off topic, but why is it I can get a light aircraft serviced for UKP26/hr by a CAA licenced engineer (who has a lot of training, has to keep up to date with an avalance of regulatory doc and bulletins, carries a huge weight of responsibility and maintains extensive facilities at an airfield) but have to pay UKP80 for an apprentice to change the spark plugs on my car?

Reply to
DoctorWho

35,000 does seem somewhat low - it's not possible to be definate since driving style and many other factors come into play. I got 100,000 out of the front discs on my 110 (lots of motorway miles, heavy towing, off- road), but that is certainly exceptional!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I can see your situation. However 35000 miles is quite low despite the fact the vehicle is only two years old. It strikes me that a lot of problems seem to occur with Land Rovers when the mileage is more than around 15,000 per annum!

If your vehicle was out of it's three year warranty then you could start looking around at independent dealers equipped with Testbook or Rovacom plug in computers - their rates would be way cheaper. But doing this with a vehicle that is still under warranty *can* be risky - BUT - new regulations that have just come into force are supposed to mean that you could take your car to an independent dealer and yet the manufacturer would still have to honour the three year warranty (at least that's my reading of the situation).

Some of the well known good independent dealers are probably just as good, if not better, than franchised dealers for servicing........

If you really feel that your present vehicle is full of problems, it may be worth changing up to the latest model (they are trying to get rid of them so good bargain prices are there to be had at present) as they do seem to have better reliability IME, but then, my current mileage is quite low........

I agree though - Land Rover Customer Care needs a *major* overhaul - most of the few times I've used it have been spent listening to an answering machine or a hold message! And some of the staff seem terminally clueless when it comes to Land Rovers........

Reply to
Llandrovers!

I would be most annoyed if the discs on my Discovery only lasted 35000 miles. My last Disco - a 1995 300Tdi - was still on it's original discs after 155000 miles ... and they weren't even close to being at the minimum thickness. My current 1996 Disco had 88000 miles on the clock and apart from some minor scoring on the front discs they look like they'll do another 50000 or so.

I know what you mean about overpriced dealers, which is why mine never go anywhere near the dealers workshop. There is a LR trained mechanic with his own business only a few miles from my home and he gets all my business (plus my son's, daughter's and most of our friends too). Fortunately, LR mechanics don't maintain aircraft ... or I'd stop flying immediately!

There are too many Discovery owners out there who are disappointed with the vehicle and dissatisfied with Customer Care(less), but the vast majority of owners never get any more problems with the Disco than they would with any other large car. I've had three now and on the whole they've provided me with enjoyable, high mileage driving - I do about 800 to 1000 miles per week - and my current one has just had it's annual breakdown.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Steve, where is it you live and where is this mechanic?

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

I live just outside Bristol and the mechanic is in Pilning. If it's of any use to you then I'll happily supply his phone number.

His normal hourly rate is about £40 - but it depends on the vehicle and how much he's had to invest in diagnostic tools, etc.