Discovery conversion to Diesel

Hi all,

I'm thinking of converting my V8 Disco to Diesel for a couple of reasons, the V8 seems to be getting less powerful by the day and the likely increase in LPG duty.

One option that seems popular with SII SIII's is the Montego 2l TDi. Has anyone had any experience of these in a Disco? This route seems a cheaper option than the 300tdi option although I could be wrong :o)

Thanks in advance

Kev

Reply to
Kev Coomber

Cheaper yes, but a *lot* less powerful than the V8! Although they're OK in Series vehicles, I think you'd regret putting one in a Disco. Better to look for a good 200Tdi out of a scrapper, they're pretty good engines.

David

Reply to
David French

Kev Coomber posted ...

They're pretty good replacement engines for older Series Landrovers, but I wouldn't think they'd be good enough for a Disco. You'd certainly feel the difference, no matter how bad the V8 feels ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The Montego engine has 80bhp and 136lb-ft of torque. It is way underpowered for a Discovery.

Reply to
Exit

In article , Kev Coomber writes

There are so many cheep TDi Disco's about that it is not really economically viable to convert a V8 to TDi.

Better off selling it and buying a TDi

I converted my wife's one three years ago only because I had most of the parts lying around. to buy all the parts, even second hand is a vast amount of cash.

Reply to
marc

How much would it cost you to switch to a diesel engine? How much a saving in running costs would you make? How long would it take recover the cost of changing from LPG to Diesel?

Seeing as LPG is the cleanest point-of-use fuel of the three major types of fuel I can't see the government increasing the duty to where it becomes more cost-effective to not use LPG.

Reply to
PDannyD

You are assuming the government actually makes rational decisions. They tend to look at the bottom line, and ultimately if all fuels cost the same to run on then the exchequer makes the same money from each of them.

Add to this that the energy density from LPG is only a fraction of petrol and you don't even have to raise the duty on LPG to the same level as petrol to make the same money of it.

Never underestimate the short-termedness of politicians.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

And never underestimate the the influence of the petrol companies on politicians, especially when they have spent millions of pounds installing hundreds of lpg pumps. . . . . . .

Reply to
Exit

Not long at all. I do 150 miles a day so even a small change makes a big difference. At present I'm getting 12 mpg on LPG from the V8. if the cost goes up by say 10p a litre that's an extra £5.50 a day , £110 a month and that's just the daily commute. The Disco has done a a fairly high mileage and I wouldn't get a lot for it.

Oh I can.

Reply to
Kev Coomber

"PDannyD"

In the case of Solihull's finest, I think we're already there. I'd only have to get 22mpg from a tdi Rangey or Disco for it to be cheaper on fuel than my 3.5 V8 lpg Rangey auto. And I'm not a heavy-footed driver - in similar usage I get 50-55mpg from a Rover 218 SLDT, and used to get very close to 60mpg from an Astra 1.7 van.

My cost comparison is based on diesel at 75-76p /litre, from virtually every filling station I pass, and lpg at 39.9, from the only one I pass regularly without detours (at 16p/mile).

Of course, if you happen to like the sound of a V8... then buy mine.

Wanted: Rangey or Disco tdi up to around £3000.

-- Kevin Poole

**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)*** Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus