Discovery Electric Window drop....

All,

After a sorting the 90 yesterday, I was driving last night when there was an almighty bang from the passenger front door. This was proceded by the Electric Window Dropping slowing into the door.

I checked the switch - motor is still working but the window does'nt move....

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Reply to
Gavin

Gavin Hi,

If it is a Disco S1 (1989 - 1998 model years) then it is most propably one of the two sliders in the scissor like lifting mechanism. Those (sliders) are plastic rectangular shaped thingies that are attached on the free sliding sides of the scissor but are very cheaply attached in position and tend to break/get undone.

If the windows was dropping or liftin slowly this most probably indicates that the U shaped part where the slider is positioned has become rusty (a very frequent thing) and the force of the window's motor must have broken/bent the slider's connection to the scissor of the lifting mechanism.

It is not that difficult to remove the window and the lifting mechanism and I believe that a drill and a bolt and nut will be a cheap solution for repairing your damaged window.

Alternatively you can always find a secondhand lifting mechanism and most probably you will not need the motor so it must not be very expensive.

One other possibility is that you may have a damaged sprocket mechanism which in its turn can be replaced without changing the motor.

Take care and HTH Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Whipped the door card off this afternoon and found that the piece of the mechanism that lifts the window via the motor had sheared off it's

3 spot welds and dropped completely off.

Can't see anway of a quick fix so well leave it for now -I've just fixed the mechanism in the up position so the window is shut.

cheers Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

A body shop ought to have a spot welder. Take about 0.5 seconds a weld, and an hour to get it in position to do it.....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yep, this is where my firendly neighbour with a welder comes in handy ..hopefully...

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin