Discovery Faults

Hi,

A few months ago, I bought a Q-reg LR Disco 2.5 Tdi. I think it's a

1992 model. A great all-rounder, it's already a firm favourite with the family. However, it's got 2 faults which I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on.

  1. The hydraulic clutch loses fluid but I can't find the leak. If I don't top it up with fluid every 3 weeks or so the gears start crunching and eventually I get a completely slack pedal (as soon as I do top it up, the clutch returns to normal). It's all very peculiar - I've had the slave and the master cylinder replaced but the problem remains. It's cheap enough to keep topping it up, I suppose, but I was wondering if this was a common fault and if someone might know the cause/cure.

  2. The ignition switch has now started playing up and has recently started cutting the engine out whilst the car is on the road - which is a bit hairy! Initially, the car intermittently wouldn't start and I narrowed the problem down to the ignition switch. I took the switch apart and cleaned it and that cured it for a short while, but now the 2 parts of the switch unit won't nip together properly and I have to gently wiggle the whole unit as I start the car, or it just cuts out. Again, is this a common fault and is there a simple cure or do I have to buy a new ignition switch? (If so, I'd appreciate any tips on decent suppliers).

Thanks for any help.

- Tom Bennett

Reply to
tom.bennett

Why is it on a Q plate?

Reply to
Mother

It's a UK car but it's had a chequered history: The car was stolen and the engine and gearbox were pinched (a good few years ago, I believe).

When it was recovered and a new engine was fitted, it had to go on a "Q" plate because it was now of mixed pedigree. Or, again, so I was told.

I've become very attached to the old girl but I'm afraid she isn't worth spending a fortune on anymore. But I keep having the odd minor triumph with my very limited and equally rusty motor repair skills - such as getting the aircon working again when I bought her - by the simple step of renewing the blown fuse.

- Tom.

Reply to
tom.bennett

Tom

not familiar with the Manual disco (I have an auto) but I can think of two possible causes for the loss of fluid that you haven't found.

If the clutch system shares it's fluid reservoir with the brake master cylinder - the plastic tank on the top of the brake master cylinder - you may be loosing fluid via the brake system. If the reservoir is shared please investigate further as no brakes is a lot more important than no clutch. If it isn't shared then disregard this option. (Just checked my Range Rover workshop manual which I use to maintain the Disco with and it looks like the reservoir is separate

The other place you may find fluid is in the carpet behind/under the clutch pedal due to master cylinder seal leakage. New ones don't always work perfectly.

Jon in NZ

Reply to
jonse

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mmbl.co.uk writes

The clutch system should be fitted with a damper unit which is a metal disc shaped device that the fluid passes through on the way to the slave cylinder. It is bolted to the bracket with the slave cylinder you can't miss it. These will loose fluid slowly like you describe. Only cure is to replace or remove from circuit ( you will need to mess with pipes if you want to remove it) It is s'posed to stop the pedal from pulsing from the effect of the clutch fingers on the release bearing when the clutch is pressed. So not really needed.

Not really a common problem.

Fit a new one.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks to the group for all your help:

To Jon, the clutch is separate to the brakes and there's no fluid to be seen on the carpet. I'll investigate as per Marc's suggestion at the weekend.

I've "cured" the ignition switch by wrapping stiff wire between the end cap and the main body of the switch and then twisting the wire tight. This has brought the two sections firmly together and is, so far, (I did it 2 days ago) working fine.

Thanks again

Regards,

- Tom Bennett

Reply to